Chapter 25: Don't Leave Me

The ship began lifting off. Frantically Ben tried smashing the walls of his clear cell, but they would not break. He ignited his saber and tried burning through the wall, but it was no use; it was a cage designed to prevent a force-user from escaping. He shouted threats and curses at Hiji Ren, who paid him no heed as he sat in the ships cockpit and began flying the craft up out of the Coruscant underworld. Once free of the Courscant atmosphere Hiji Ren planned to gas Ben in his cell so that he could further restrain him and safely confiscate his weapon, but first he wanted to get his ship away from the city planet. He was confident the cell would hold until then.

Rey? REY! Answer me!

He shouted across their bond, but was answered with only silence. He could feel her life fading. He smashed his fists in rage against the walls until his blood stained the once clear barrier. In anguish he dropped to his knees and called upon the force.

He remembered the strength, the power; he had once felt as he fought to save her life on Cloud City, and called upon it again. When he had fought for her, he had been stronger in the force than he had ever felt before. He closed his eyes and focused on the weakening pulse of Rey through their bond. "For her. For her," he thought, as he felt the raw power begin to surge through his veins. With a mighty shove he extended his hand and focused all of his will, releasing a burst so strong that it broke through his cell wall and also tore out the side of the ship.

Suddenly the ship's warning siren started blaring. Red lights were flashing. A vacuum of air began tugging at Hiji Ren from where he sat in the ships cockpit, desperately trying to pull up above the skyline, and not lose control as he dodged the speeders zooming around his damaged ship. So intent was he on trying not to crash his vessel; that he was unable to notice the figure that rose up behind him in the cockpit, but he felt something seize his throat. With a violent jerk he was torn from his seat and found himself floating several inches above the floor, face to face with his former master.

Ben squeezed harder on the struggling knight's throat, and watched as he helplessly thrashed about. When Hiji Ren tried reaching for a dagger Ben effortlessly stopped him, and using the force, pulled every dagger from Hiji Ren's body and tossed them out the gaping hole in the side of the ship. The powerful vacuum of air should have sucked him out as well, but he remained fixed in place though his sheer will in the force, outside pedestrian speeders were struggling to dodge the damaged ship that careened upwards.

He didn't have time to ask questions, but he still needed answers. With no preamble he sliced straight into Hiji Ren's mind and began tearing it apart, desperately trying to find any information that could save Rey's life, and also hoping to find if he knew where Aldo Ren was.

Hiji Ren let out a blood curdling scream that sounded distorted and horrific through his mask as he felt his mind being destroyed from the inside.

To Ben's disappointment he found that Hiji Ren had no clue where to find Aldo Ren, and worse, that he had been telling the truth about the placebo.

"I see; then you are of no use to me," he said as released his grip on Hiji Ren's mind and instead reached into his chest and seized his heart. Hiji Ren's screams intensified, but Ben would show him no mercy. With a furious yank, Hiji Ren's heart burst through his chest and flew into Ben's outstretched hand, it beast one last time, then stopped. He released the lifeless body of the knight, letting it fall to the cockpit floor, and then tossed the worthless heart out the gaping hole in the side of the ship.

I'm coming, Rey!

He called to her as he jumped into the pilot's chair and struggled to regain control of the faltering ship, and narrowly managed to avoid an imminent collision with a looming skyscraper. The ship was heavily damaged, but with great struggle he managed to turn it back and send it into a high-speed dive, back towards the underworld. He prayed to the force that he would not be too late.