Chapter 19: Espionage

He didn't sleep a wink that night. He hadn't spent a night apart from her since he woke up on Takodana. All he could do was toss and turn and hope he was right in his assumptions about Calrissian, or else he would have an impossible time explaining himself.

He certainly did not want to leave her alone with Rando for the inspection, frankly the thought of the leering governor anywhere near his Rey alone sickened him, but he needed her to keep him distracted while he investigated what was really going on behind the scenes.

Rey woke up to a knock at her door. When she opened it one of Rando's staff entered with a laden serving cart filled with exotic and tantalizing food for her breakfast, the most shocking thing she found was several long-stemmed roses and a card addressed to her.

Rey,

I hope you slept well last night. I am very pleased that you are here in Cloud City and I look forward to meeting with you for today's inspection. I assure you that you will receive my utmost cooperation. I will arrive at 900 hours to personally escort you to the loading docks where I keep the freighters. I assume that your large friend shall be joining us, but perhaps you can join me tonight, alone, for dinner?

Yours

-Rando

Rey was not used to open flirtation and wasn't quite sure of what to make of the situation. She assumed it would be apparent to others that she and Ben were together, but she began to think that maybe they hadn't fully given that impression the other day, what with his stand-offish behavior, and the fact that they had been given, and slept in, separate rooms.

The food was delicious, but she ate it rather hurriedly as she wanted to see Ben alone before Rando arrived.

She hadn't slept much that night and had even cried a little. Was he so jealous that he could act so childishly as to just automatically assume the worst about someone simply because he didn't like them? Clearly Rando was being a bit amorous, but she would set the record straight with him as soon as she saw him; that Ben and she were together. What hurt her most was that it seemed as if he had lashed out against her for having defended Rando. She could not deny that there wasn't something that felt suspicious about his operations, but she had purposely searched him for deceptions and had no evidenced that he wasn't telling her the truth.

She had been angry with Kylo Ren constantly, but being angry with Ben felt different, it felt wrong and she wanted to try and appeal with him to be sensible one more time before she had to leave for the inspection.

She knocked at his door and felt a pang of hurt and rejection again as he refused to answer it. Finally in frustrated anger she used the force to pry the lock and barged in.

"Ben Solo, you are going to talk to me before..."

He wasn't there.

She saw that he had barely touched his breakfast, which had not been nearly as extravagant as her own, and that his bed covers were all mangled as if he had a fitful sleep, or lack thereof. She could tell he hadn't left his clothes or saber behind.

Suddenly a wave of panic and terror struck her. "He left me!" she thought as her heart-rate shot through the roof. "Had he really been that mad?"

Ben? Ben? Where are you? I'm sorry. Don't leave me! I'm so sorry.

She cried out across the bond.

Suddenly she felt him.

What? I haven't left you! I would never leave you! Why would you ever think such a thing?