Chapter Twenty-Five - Greed

Start from the beginning

Xavier crossed the room, passing a group of women that were eyeing him from the second he walked in. His hair was jet black and slicked back, though several strands had fallen near his eyes. I looked around him, curious as to whether I’d see that woman, Lucy, with him. Judging by his cold expression, he hadn’t found her yet. He wore a black suit and tie, just as Matthew and every man here did, with the same look of authority that Matthew held. He walked towards us, his expression determined and his lips pressed into a hard line.

“This will be interesting,” Matthew whispered in my ear with his eyes on Xavier.

I swallowed and grabbed a glass of punch from the table to sip on.

Xavier stood in front of us, his height about the same as Matthew’s. Although they were both tall, I felt a lot more hostility from Xavier than I ever had with Matthew. I don’t know why. I’m really good at being able to read someone, and with this guy I felt like he was unpredictable. That is a dangerous feeling.

“Xavier,” Matthew greeted with a smile and a handshake.

Xavier looked down at the extended hand and completely ignored it. “Your witch has been of no help. Last night I was told that Lucy was in New Mexico, only I know that she is in town, just outside of Chicago,” his said coldly.

Matthew didn’t bat an eye. “Maybe Lucy has a witch working for her?”

I knew that was a lie. Matthew was trying to lure Xavier away from Lucy, which he was failing miserably at. Why did he want Lucy dead? No idea.

“I highly doubt that. Lucy doesn’t have connections like that,” Xavier replied, sounding impatient.

“I apologize. Angelica can be incredibly stubborn when she wants.”

“I’d like to speak to her myself. Perhaps I can persuade her into giving me Lucy’s exact location.”

Matthew raised a brow curiously. “How so?”

Xavier smiled, which was kind of scary in my opinion. “I think ripping an arm off is a good way to make someone do something.”

“I advise against that. Witches are revengeful creatures. She’d probably curse you with blindness or something.”

“I’m losing my patience, Matthew. You promised me that you would help me. Yet here you are, partying it up.” His dark eyes flashed to me before looking back at him.

Matthew narrowed his eyes at Xavier. “What are you trying to say, friend?”

“I’ll find her myself. Point out which one is Angelica and I’ll find a way to make her find Lucy for me.”

“She’s the one with the dark brown hair and the long violet dress.” Matthew nodded towards the corner of the room at the woman he had just described.

Xavier quickly turned away and towards the direction of the apparent witch. I felt relief wash over me like icy water. He didn’t recognize me. I sat down my empty glass and looked up at Matthew. He actually looked smug.

“Aren’t you the least bit worried he’ll find her?” I asked in a whisper, leaning in so that no one could hear us. Although I wasn’t fully sure why he wanted them apart, I was curious why he didn’t seem the least bit bothered by what had just happened.

Matthew looked as if he were resisting a laugh. “Maybe a little. But Angelica is a witch in training. She barely knows how to make a potion.”

I looked over at the slender girl and saw her flushing over there by Xavier.

“She’s what you would call a Death Luster. Her mother was the same way. I can’t imagine how her grandmother would react if she knew that her eighteen-year-old granddaughter was flirting with vampires.”