Chapter 1

Jake's Point of View

"I'm not mating you." I sighed, rubbing my hands over my face stressfully.

"Why not?" I could hear the pout in her voice, as I had my back to her as we made our way throughout the pack house.

"You're my girlfriend, not my mate." I responded simply. "I want my mate when the time comes."

"You're twenty-two, Jake. Most wolves find their mate at seventeen." Kayla sighed as she put a hand on my shoulder, turning me to face her. "You need to mate before you become weak."

"I don't become weak." I shrugged. "I only get stronger."

And it was true. I had twice the amount of power my father had as an Alpha when he was fifty-one. At twenty-two, I had overpowered him along with any other Alpha who'd challenge me.

And I was only getting stronger.

"But you need a Luna, Jake! We've dated since high school! Don't you love me?" She pouted, crossing her arms across her chest, unintentionally causing her cleavage to show in the v-neck t-shirt she was wearing.

I cupped her face in my hands, pecking her softly on the lips. "I love you. I really do. But it's not the love I'd hold for a mate. I hear all these stories about how my mates scent will be so addicting, I'll never want to leave her side. When I touch her, I want to feel electricity. When I look at her, I want to feel happiness and get lost in her eyes. I want my soul-mate, Kayla. I don't want an artificial mate."

Kayla sighed, and nodded, a sad smile playing at her lips. "I know what you mean."

"Give me a year." I said, my thumbs running across her cheeks. Her skin wasn't naturally soft, not with all the skin products she used. "Give me a year and, if we don't find our mates by then, I'll let you become my Luna."

"Three months." Kayla offered.

"Six months." I responded. "That's as low as I'm going."

Kayla bit her lip and nodded hesitantly, smiling as I leaned in and pressed my lips softly to hers.

Though, our moment was quickly ruined when a pack member ran up to us breathlessly, bending over to catch his breath.

Parker, one of the best pack fighters we had.

I broke away from Kayla, staring at the man, one of my closest friends. "What is it, Parker?"

"Rogue's." He breathed out before standing straight, looking me in the eye. "They're everywhere. Surrounding the territory."

"How many?" I said instantly, brushing past him and making my way toward the stairs of the pack house. "Are the children and the non-fighters sheltered?"

"Yes sir," I could see him nodding in the corner of my eye as he jogged to catch up to me. "And it seems about the size of a small pack."

"Are they speaking?" I asked, rushing down the stairs.

Kayla had made her way to the basement, where the pack members were safest. It was our shelter.

"No." Parker placed a hand on my shoulder, turning me to stare at him. "Alpha, they have a leader. A strong one."

I smirked at this. "Stronger than me?"

Parker didn't respond, just stood there opening and closing his mouth as if he were a fish.

I frowned, all joking matters aside. "Parker?"

He sighed. "From what we can gather, she comes from a long line of Alpha's and witches. She's a hybrid. A strong one."