Chapter Thirty-Nine

“Outrageous!” Aunt Maggie shouted as she paced back and forth in the living room. I was smiling as I watched her, using every ounce of will not to start laughing. Jack and Lance were on the couch doubled-over laughing and Mr. Haynes was covering his mouth to prevent himself from laughing. It was Saturday morning and I had just finished telling them the events that had taken place at the mall. Aunt Maggie was furious that Eric and Erin had violated the restraining order when everyone else thought it was absolutely hysterical.

“Margaret, it’s okay,” Jack said as he wiped a tear from his eye. “Nothing important was hurt.”

“That’s not exactly the point, is it Jack?” Aunt Maggie said icily. “They violated the restraining order!”

“And they got what they deserved for violating it,” Jack said as he started laughing again. I started to laugh at Aunt Maggie’s expression she gave him; she was clearly not amused. She crossed her arms and rolled her eyes which caused Jack to start laughing even more.

“Aunt Maggie, it’s really okay. I got a front row seat of it. I’m not going to complain much about it. I’ve been dying to see that all my life,” I said as I twirled my hair in my hand. I smiled up at her and I saw the devious twinkle appear in her eye.

“I suppose those little brats did deserve it,” she said with a smile as she tapped her chin. “I’ll still bring it to the judge’s attention. If I can cause my sister more pain, then I’ll enjoy it even more.”

“You can actually be scary, Miss Margaret,” Lance said as he stood up.

“Oh you haven’t seen the half of it,” Aunt Maggie said with a sly smile. She clapped her hands together. “Anyways, Ashley you have an appointment with Dr. Bryn in a couple hours. Lance, can I get you to take her to it? Jack, your father and I have some business to attend to.”

“Naturally,” Lance said as he crossed his arms and smiled at me.

“I can walk by myself guys. I’m not four,” I said with an exasperated sigh.

“That’s not the issue,” Aunt Maggie said. “Besides, Lance will be taking you to a bakery on the way back.”

“What?” I asked as I stood up. “Why is he taking me there?”

“Ashely, did you really forget?” Aunt Maggie said with a smile. “Your birthday is tomorrow.”

“My…b-birthday?” I asked with shock. I blinked a couple times at Aunt Maggie and stared hard at her to make sure she wasn’t making it up. I even forgot my own birthday.

“Of course we’re going to celebrate it!” Aunt Maggie said crossing her arms. “You’re going to pick out your birthday cake okay? I’ll have Jack pick it up tomorrow.”

“Aunt Maggie you don’t have to go that far,” I said with a small laugh. Lance grabbed my arm and looked down at me.

“Don’t question her motives,” he said crossly. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“You just want to celebrate.”

“So what if I do?” Lance said shrugging his shoulders. I rolled my eyes as I headed towards the front door with Lance right behind me. We got into his car and headed off towards Dr. Bryn’s, hoping to get the appointment out of the way with some good news thrown in there. I was ecstatic when he told me he had good news for me last time. I was disappointed that I never got to hear what the news was but I was betting that I would get to hear it today since my scans were in.

“You seem really cheerful to be going to the doctor,” Lance said with a smile.

“He said he had good news! I haven’t heard any good news regarding this before so I’m kinda excited!” I looked over at Lance and I saw his expression grow soft and I felt my heart lurch in my chest. We arrived in plenty of time and we made our way towards Dr. Bryn’s office. He was filing some papers when we walked in and he greeted us with a smile.