Chapter 32: Parental Advisory

Start from the beginning

"My heart already belongs to someone else," Jen stated

I couldn't help but avoid any and all eye contact at that very moment.

Colin nodded in agreement, "As does mine..."

I looked up when Colin spoke, and saw him glance to his right and look at Savannah, before he quickly looked away again. He was blushing, and you could discern the sadness on his face. I imagined that's what I probably looked like too.

An announcement came over the speakers in the building, "open mic starting now! First come first serve."

No one got up.

"Why don't you and Savannah go?" Jen asked gesturing toward the stage.

My face being to flush. I had never been nervous while preforming before, but she was here, and that made all the difference.

"Yeah, you two would be great," Colin chimed in.

"I'll go if you go," said Savannah, directing her speech to back towards him.

"We'll see" he replied

"I'm gonna take that as a yes"

Savannah and I proceeded to get on stage, and introduce ourselves to the crowd. We ended up singing three or four songs before calling it quits. Colin and Ryan had both gotten guitars from somewhere and were heading up on stage right as we were walking off.

"Hello"

The crowd went crazy from just hearing one word come out of Colin's mouth.

"I'm Colin O'Donoghue, and this is my brother Ryan—"

He was cut off my all of the screaming drunk girls in the club, and his face was starting to turn red.

"I think we'd like to dedicate this song to our good friend Savannah, the beautiful woman who just left the stage," he said, smiling and pointing in our direction.

I watched as Savannah buried her head in her hands and waited for the cheering to stop. That's when Colin and Ryan started playing. I was shocked by how skilled they actually were at the guitars.

A little bit into their playing, I looked over at Jennifer and saw her gazing in Colin's direction. I started wondering if I could ever even compete with him. Feeling bummed, I excused myself to the bathroom in an effort to relax my emotions a little bit.

I stood in the bathroom, alone, looking into the mirror. The man I was looking at, was never who I wanted to be. I was ready to settle down long before I met Jennifer. These last two breakups had taken their toll on me and I wasn't sure what to do with myself anymore.

There was a knock on the bathroom door.

"Just a minute..."

There was a slight pause, and another knock on the door, this time more forcefully.

"Hold on!"

Why couldn't people just leave me alone. I thought the person had gone away when all of a sudden, there was a loud BANG on the door. I nearly had a heart attack... pissed off, I swung the door open, ready to cuss someone out.

All I saw was a quick blur as I was knocked to the ground with full force. I closed my eyes in an effort of subduing the pain educed from getting the wind knocked out of me. Before I had time to open my eyes again, I could feel the pressure of someone sitting on top of me. I raised my hand to rub my eyes and my vision focused.

"Jen,"I said agonizingly, "What the hell—"

"We have at least five minutes—"

"Wait—What? Did you come in here expecting to jump my bones or give me a concussion?"

"Reece I love you," she said, sitting on top of me and holding my face in her hands, and unbuttoning my shirt.

"I love you too," I replied, brushing her hair back from her face, embracing her passionately and going in for a kiss.

————————————————————

From an interview about The Rite

Guilt & Company Music Lounge / Restaurant

Restaurant bar with live music

Located in Vancouver, BC — Customer Photos