twenty-four.

|it runs in the blood|
____________________________________

10 year old Jade was looking around, hiding shyly behind her dad's legs. Her daddy had wanted to take her somewhere for her 10th birthday, and it turned out to be his laboratory. Her two brothers had stayed at home with their mom.

They had been walking around, her father explaining all about the gems to Jade, when one of her father's employees, a whitecoat, had stopped them in their tracks.

Jade was too busy looking around to notice what the adults were talking about. There were a lot of little kids here too, and Jade was grateful that she was born into a family with powers.

In the midst of her father's chat with his employee, an alarm-like sound had boomed throughout the laboratory, alerting all the people in it.

"What's going on?" The whitecoat had asked his into walkie-talkie.

"Somebody entered the doors of the laboratory without permission," A voice from the other end spoke.

Jade's dad had politely took the walkie-talkie from the whitecoat's hand and asked, "You mean, a person broke in?"

"Yes, sir James," The person on the other end stuttered when he heard James speaking.

"Any idea who it is?" James had asked.

"The man used the reason he was your father to try and get in, and with him was a brother of yours, from what they have said." The person said cautiously, and Jade's eyes had widened. She had never met her grandfather ever.

"We didn't grant him access because you were with your daughter, but he just... broke in," The voice on the device said.

James let out a huff before shoving the walkie-talkie back into whitecoat's hand and ordering him to get all the whitecoats to find his father. He looked pissed beyond compare, and it began to scare Jade.

"Daddy?" Jade asked, making his eyes soften as he looked at her.

"Go and wait at my office, Jadey. It's on the very top floor. I have to go find your grandfather and have a little chat," James said, bending down to give Jade a kiss on the forehead before he retreated to find his father.

Jade sighed and started walking along the hallways of the laboratory, the size of it seemingly bigger when her dad was not by her side. She tries hard to ignore all the shouting coming from the cells around her, keeping her head down as she walked, but it's hard when they shout very hurtful things.

"Hey! Royal twat! Get us out of here!" Someone shouted.

"You're just as heartless as your old man, aren't ya?" A guy snarled at her.

She kept her head down, bowing her head lower as she walked down the halls faster.

"Jade!" That made her stop momentarily. "I know your name is Jade you little-!"

She blocked out the voice, not wanting to hear the end of that insult. She scolded herself and moved along. She was too busy staring at the ground to notice a blonde running right in her direction. The young blonde, too, had been too busy checking if anyone was behind her to notice the young brunette approaching her.

They both collided, sending them both butt first to the ground. Jade was the first to get up, dusting herself off before helping the blonde up.