eighteen. just like jade

|just like jade|
____________________________________

14 year old Niall was hiding under the sink in his bathroom in his room. His parents were laughing maniacally in the house, asking him to come out of his hiding place.

See, his parents were magic hunters and unfortunately for him, they didn't care about killing their own flesh and blood. You got it right, they were out to kill Niall.

"Come out, Niall!" His mom screeched. "Be a good boy and do your mommy a favour!"

Her voice was so near now, maybe just outside his bedroom.

Niall began showing signs of his powers two weeks ago and he had tried so hard to hide it, but his parents were experienced hunters and they already figured it out no matter how well he hid it.

This evening, he was in the living room watching television when they started chasing him, knife and gun in hand. He sprinted to his room, locked the door, went into the bathroom and locked that door and now here he was, hiding under the sink from his sadistic parents.

"Niall!" His dad's voice now boomed. "Stop being disobedient and come out!"

But of course Niall didn't. He had watched his parents kill his paternal grandparents when he was younger because they were magic users. That explains how Niall got his powers. Sometimes the powers skips a generation or even five, but as long as an ancestor of a person has powers, that said person can have powers as well.

And it's obvious that Niall's parents don't mind killing the very people that brought them into the earth, so they must be willing to kill the very person they gave birth to.

Bang.

He was sure his parents were trying to knock down the door now. He had to think of a way to escape.

He looked around his bathroom. There was a window, but climbing out of there meant facing a two storey jump -because he was pretty sure there were no trees around for him to jump on and climb down from.

Bang.

Damn, the door's down. Niall was panicking. He didn't want to face his parents. He didn't want them to kill him, but he didn't want to kill them either.

See, magic hunters don't have powers, because they believe the world should be ruled by humans and humans only. They want to find the stones and keep them because they believe no man should have superpowers. Magic users, however, believe that people with powers should be able to live in harmony with people who do not have powers. Although, without a doubt, some magic users think that they should rule the world, and those people usually end up in prison.

"Niall! I know you're inside there!" Niall heard his mom shout, interrupting his thinking.

'Shit.' He cursed in his head. He only had two choices now: to run and probably die, or to stay and try to fight his parents off.

He didn't want to die -he was too young to die- but killing his parents was not an easy task either. Even though they didn't pay much attention to him because they were too busy hunting down magic users, they were still his parents; his evil, cruel, selfish parents.

What would he do?

Bang.

The answer was clear to him when the door to his bathroom broke down, that he had no other choice but to fight his parents and try to stay alive.