Chap 25: Apology

Maya's POV

"Last semester. Internship. Hectic routine....urghh. Why do people grow up?," I sighed loudly and headed towards the building of textile industry's head quarters. I came here with my dad a few times,when he used to work until Uncle planned a way to get him out. This is the wealthy possession of my uncle now. I have to see him and Farhan everyday. It was the that university placed me in this office for internship. I requested for a change but they said the other sections have been filled and if anyone was willing to change, then they would call me. Unfortunately, no one changed and I had no option but to come here. So all I would do is mind my own business and ignore those villains. I hope it will be easy. Today is my second day here. Yesterday,I met with uncle only and he ridiculed me. Atleast infront of nobody. But it scares me,what will happen every single day here.

As I entered the room where the information desk was ,to register my name for attendance, I saw the lady there talking to a man. When he replied, I felt that I know that voice.

"Well, that's no excuse young lad. You have to be present all your days as an intern here," she smiled.

"I know Mrs.Rose,just overslept. I promise I will be the best intern of this season," and he giggled. His back was facing me. This tall figure,dressed in white shirt and black pants must be someone familiar.

"Make your dad proud son," she then turned to me,"yes dear, Maya is it?"

He turned around to see me I think. Zaid's smile disappeared and a blank emotion painted him.He got shocked to find me here maybe. I am terribly shocked too.

"Yes madam," I smiled and walked to the desk,"Good morning,"

"Good morning sweetheart," she returned a huge grin. As I signed the paper,I could feel his eyes on me. Then Mrs.Rose spoke up.

"Maya dear,this is Zaid. He will work with you for the same assignment. Do you know each other by the way? I happen to have seen your names listed in the column from the same institution,"

Before I could respond,Zaid answered her.

"Yes. Yes...umm we know each other. We went to the same school too," he said. I notice a tone of amusement in his answer. He looked at me and smiled.

"Hi ....Maya,"

"Hello Zaid,"

This was unusual. Before, every time I encountered him,he talked to me rudely or pushed me from the back. He did it whenever his friends were with him but when alone,he ignores me. I don't trust him. He did help me in my dangerous situations yet again he himself was dangerous too. How do you describe such a guy? Bipolar doesn't suit his character either.

He nodded his head,still carrying the smile. A different kind of smile. Whenever he smiled at me,it was out of courtesy in front of particular persons. But this smile,it was directed to please me. I don't know how to trust this guy.

"Okay,I will go to my work," I left thereby.

I was walking along the corridor before the room I was assigned to when Zaid called out to me.

"Maya!"

I stopped,didn't turn around and waited for him to reach me.

"Hey there," he said nicely. I curled my lips nervously. I felt weak with him. His hand motioned behind his head and his head lowered to the floor.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" I asked because his face showed that he needed to talk to me but he could not start.

He removed his hand from his head and nodded to me while looking at me.

"Uhh...mmm...well. We...how do I say this?!" he whispered the last part and put both of his hands on his face.

"Umm....it's okay. You can tell me later," I was about to walk away to avoid him. He stopped me again.

"No wait! We are finishing this right now!" he said it fast and seriously. I waited for him to continue. I couldn't look at him. My eyes roamed around but I didn't dare to meet his eyes. It was weird ,ever since I saw him at the information desk,he was being so different. I felt a sense of insecurity in me. What if this was his technique to throw me down,just like the effect he casted on me at highschool. Just like when,he was acting sweet with me and led me to a room where Daisy and the rest cut my hair and clothes,then poured eggyolk on me. I shook my head,I won't allow something like this to happen again.

"No...plz listen first.Our ....our... Maybe enmity. I am sorry. I am sorry for all the hurt and harm I have caused to you," he said and I recognized how hard it was for him to say this. I looked up at him,he was taller than me so I had to look up.

He apologized?

Really? Did he mean it or was he making fun? I was mute for a long moment, contemplating on the present,trying to find whether to believe him or not, trying to find a response. Or maybe I heard him wrong,he didn't apologize,I was just hearing things.

"Maya....please say something," his voice sounded sad. Did he really say that? Wow! Zaid saying sorry to me. I am beyond shocked. Was there any hidden camera around? Are his friends here too?

"Maya," he said,sounding the same. His face showed how remorse he was. His eyes were pleading me to tell something.

"I am really sorry. I get it I have wronged. Please forgive me,"

I sighed and crossed my arms.

"You know it's hard. Whatever happened was too much. Does sorry take away all the pain you have caused me?" I finally said without fear,knowing he will not harm me at this moment.

"I know. What's past is past. I can't go to the past to stop that Zaid from his evil. But right now,I can ask is forgiveness .Right now, I can promise, this will never happen again. I know being sorry won't change the past but from now on ,I won't let my friends hurt you . I won't let myself hurt you. Promise," he said then looked away but returned his gaze over me.

I stared at the floor,tapping it with my right foot. I think I should forgive him and finish off this chapter with him. No need to hold grudges. Let's get this done.

"I forgive you," my eyes at him now.

"Really?" he asked softly.

"Yeah," I said and smiled weakly,still not used to this new side of him.

"Was it easy?"

"No,"

"I understand I was bad. I did horri..." he was explaining and I cut him out.

"Leave it Zaid. I don't want to take this conversation further. You needed forgiveness, I forgave you. It's done,no need to bring this up again," I told him and moved away,was walking to go to the room. He quickly came beside me and walked at the same pace.

"Maya wait,we are working together. Let's go together," he said and I sensed the happiness in his voice.

"Fine," trying to be normal.

"Thank you"

"For?"

"Umm....forgiving me," he said ,"Maya?"

"Yes?"

"You are sweet"

******
Howdy everyone ,hope all is well :)

That day,a cockroach came to the living room. I hate cockroaches.. Yuck!! And this insect was scaring me. My brother got a broomstick, my sister got a plastic bottle and I picked up the cricket bat,you know whatever we found at hand for 'self-defense'. So we three 'superheroes' attempted to kill this insect. It was standing still so we surrounded it. Then it MOVED..IT WALKED! AND THEN YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED?!! THE THREE OF US RAN OUT OF THE ROOM,WITH THE DEFENDING THINGS,TO OUR MOM SCREAMING!!!

I DON'T LIKE COCKROACHES. THAT TINY INSECT SCARES A BIG FIGURE LIKE ME. HOW DOES IT HAVE SUCH EFFECT ON ME!!😢😥