Chap2 : Her...

edited

Maya was sitting on the chair,waiting for her name to be announced so that she goes to receive her certificate. A few girls came and wanted to take seats next to her but when they saw it was Maya,they made a face and sat two chairs away from her. Maya shook her head and focused on the stage.

It was beautifully decorated. The wood was covered by a large red carpet. The front was designed with different kinds of flowers. At the back was a huge board displaying 'Graduation of batch 2016'. On either side of the stage, two white digi-boards were set to show the footage of the live view of the hall that is being recorded by two or three camera-men. There were others who were taking snap shots here and there. The entire roof was holding onto hanging lantern-like lamps made of plastic. They were not real but modelled as such to play two roles; decoration and dim illumination.

The room was divided into three sections. One for the teachers next to the students'. The third section of the room is where the parents gathered. Maya avoided looking there. It would make her sad. She was already though. Everyone's parents were here except hers and some others,those who were orphans like her.

She saw her selfish cousin Rita,enjoying her time with her friends. Maya hated her and her family. Her father was a brother to her father. Rita's dad was no good man because he did not accept to take care of Maya. Instead he demanded the property her father left her with. Luckily ,their family lawyer had fixed things. So Maya lives in one flat and another flat is for rent. These were the only properties left to her along with her mother's jewelry.

She used the rent money to spend on her monthly incentives. Her school provided free education to orphans so she was relieved from the stress for tution payment. Despite this fate,whereby she has to maintain a budget,her uncle still demands her the property.

Maya was bored with clapping hands. When will my turn come? She thought.
That's when someone smacked her head from the back. When she looked behind, she saw Zaid sitting behind her.

"It wasn't me,it was him." he pointed at Mark. Then he turned to see Maya's reaction who had cast her gaze on Mark annoyingly.

"No,it was Zaid. Madam it was him." Mark received a punch from Zaid.

"It was you. How dare you hit Madam?"

They were having their drama. Maya rolled her eyes before looking away. Besides encountering some ruthless people,she was struggling with lots of tasks starting from doing her home cores, school work,her time for religious duties ofcourse and pulling up courage to visit her doctor.She was alone, ideas to defeat them never entered her innocent mind. She hated this side of hers.

Her name was called and she went up to the stage. The guest of honour smiled and shook hands with her. Maya was among the toppers of the school year. All the teachers congratulated her. Emma and Lisa came to her to give their tributes too.

Maya went home and headed for her bedroom. She took her parents picture from the bed-stand and kept it on bed.

"Dad,as you made me promise, I fulfilled it." she said ,looking at the photo. "You asked me to stay strong even though the worst would come, I am here dad,still alive. Forgive me for the time I decided to give up on my life. Things were not going well you know. But then Allah gave me a chance to live. I am sorry for thinking like that." Tears started to fall as she recalled the time when she climbed up the edge of the terrace of her school building.She shook her head to shove the memory away.

"You don't know this,but people out there are bad,very bad. I don't get what their problem is. They are always mean to me. Do you know why, Mom and Dad? Am I like the one to get hurt? Do I deserve to get hurt? I ask myself every time with whom did I misbehave so I may understand that this is my punishment for it. Did I ever hurt you people?Hmm,did I ever hurt you Mom and Dad ,that this is my punishment? I don't remember. I lost you Dad when I was ten. Was I a bad girl? Was I too stubborn? Did I ask for so much icecreams and chocolates like a greedy one? Did I disturb your office work? " This time Maya broke too much. She let go of the photo frame she was holding and put her hands on her face. Her cries were louder now.