Chap 8: Punishment

edited

"Dad" he whispered with fear.

Zaid's dad works as a PA of a textile company. Today,he had a meeting that made him stay at office till 7:00pm. On his way home,his wife called him to come to the hospital. He is here now,staring intensely at Zaid.

He came towards Zaid and observed the state he was in. His fractured leg was bandaged from knee to foot and was hanging from top with a support. The blood drip was connected to his is left hand. Another bandage covered his forehead. Some parts of his skin which got cut were covered with antiseptic and bandages. There were dark circles around his eyes.

"Hun, don't go mad on him,atleast not now." his mom told to his dad.

Whenever Zaid's report on his misbehavior with other students reached his father's ears, he used to ground Zaid or make him not have dinner. Zaid feared his dad but never could he change his over-playful and evil attitude. That's because his father did not beat or slap him ever .Zaid took the advantage left by the law of not hitting Children. He was a type of boy who needed extreme punishment to stop his ridiculous actions.

"I know what exactly to do with you." he told Zaid coldly. He gulped when he heard him.

"Don't scold him now,he is not feeling well." said his mom.

"No Sarah, I have heard enough of this boy." he told angrily. "He never keeps his room clean,it's always a mess. He helps us less and that only after we ask him a hundred times. He is at his friends' homes most of the times. He bullies others, not caring about their feelings, he makes friends with the wrong people. And now....he has crossed the limits..he disobeyed us and didn't even bother to inform where he was going.....going for a race...for money..really Zaid...how could you be this low?!!!" he was very furious .

"Honey please, he is feeling too weak ,he won't understand your words." his mom was trying to save him.

"I did not do it for money Dad!" Zaid declared .

"Oh really,then for what?!"

"For fun and to show off.....being brave." He said in a low but shaky voice ,looking nowhere but forward. He was afraid of meeting his dad's face.

"You fool,being brave!!"

"Go slow hun...this is a hospital...and Zaid is a patient now." Mrs.Sarah touched her husband's shoulder to calm him.

"Sarah... Stop defending him. Being brave huh?! Does that mean you have to go on looking for trouble... to show you're brave!"

Zaid helplessly looked at his hanging leg and sighed .

" After you recover, you are going to do all the chores of the house for three consecutive months!" his dad announced the punishment. "Then you will understand how much time and devotion we give for the sake of your happiness, so you may live well." he continued.

A single drop of tear fell from Zaid's eye. He felt sorry for causing this mess .

" The only thing you are good at is your studies..but you have other responsibilities.... You are growing up..one day you will be married, when will you understand. " he said ,this time with a low voice.

"Ali...Don't say that...my Zaid prays,fasts and I believe he has a heart of gold. He plays football really well. Don't think he is only good at studies." Sarah told her husband who now looked at her annoyed.

"Here you go again....why are you defending our son?! He will not change if you act too sweet with him."

"Dad..I am sorry." Zaid spoke after the long lecture.