Chap 21: Bad night

The police came and secured the lounges where the students will stay tonight. The hiking that was planned tomorrow got cancelled after the notice of missing students. So everyone is supposed to prepare for  returning home from tomorrow morning. Except John sir, he will stay with other police men until they find the lost students.

Meanwhile ,the search was getting tense. Rangers have been into the woods for a long time. Their names have been called out using a speaker but there was no response. Those two,Maya and Zaid are far from their reach. They have gone in a wrong direction such that it took them deeper into the forest rather than to the edge where they could have been seen or they would have found their way out.

"Are you sure there are no carnivores?"

"Sir, of course not. You are a teacher of environmental studies and you know that this forest is not suitable for carnivores to survive. They rarely find their prey." said a ranger.

"But there are snakes. What if...oh God ,I hope they are not poisoned," he said while rubbing his temple.

"Don't worry sir, we are doing our best to find them."

John sir nodded but that sentence wasn't enough to calm him.

****

"Zaid, what's in your bag?"

Zaid was carrying a small bag on his back. When Maya asked him about it, his eyes widened and his hands went behind him to feel the presence of his bag. He quickly took it off and put it on his lap.

"What the hell?!! I forgot I was carrying this."

"What??...."

Maya shook her head in wonderment.

"Yeah, must be the tension. So what?"

He glared at her direction before opening the bag.

"Goodness, a water bottle and...only one chocolate bar."

He raised his eyebrows in amusement. He finally could have dinner. But when he saw Maya,whom he had forgotten for a second due to delight at the sight of refreshment, his happy face changed to a scowl.

" It's ok. You don't have to share. I just want one sip of water." Maya asked from the place she was sitting. "Just one sip ,promise"

Zaid rolled his eyes.

"Why are you begging me as if I am about to take your life? "

He crawled from where he was seated and came to stop next to Maya.

"So," he raised his hands, one holding the bottle and the other hand had chocolate, " we are halving these. You drink half of the water and eat half of the chocolate. "

"Are you sure? I won't mind if u don't give me chocolate."

"Shut up and do as I say, stupid."

" So you care but with .... all the stuff you call me. You are the weirdest bully I came across, "

"Whatever. Now take this."

He handed her half of the bar after breaking it carefully to equal pieces.

They had their mini dinner in silence.

"Do you think they are looking for us?" ,Maya asked after while.

Zaid sighed and brushed his hair with his fingers, casting his gaze on the night sky.

"Well, they must have found out we are missing and it's obvious they are looking for us,"

She nodded her head. After a while, she spoke again.

"Do you admire stars?" she inquired while looking up,lost in the attraction the sky with stars that appeared like sprinkles showed.