Chapter Twenty-Three - Bite Me

Start from the beginning

Please, this is nothing. These balls are huge.”

A laughed burst from my lips without warning. “Life is so much better with a dirty mind.”

She narrowed her eyes at me. “I mean these parties are huge. The women who come to these things pay thousands on their dresses. Most have jewelry that is more expensive than my Ferrari.”

That was news to me. I knew Matthew was one for style and expensive taste, yet I figured these were kind of like my high school prom I never attended. After all, Matthew said these parties happened four times a year. They must cost hundreds of thousands a year! “I guess we should start now if we want me to blend in with the crowd, huh?”

Lacey grinned in delight. “Yes! Oh, and before we start I guess I should introduce the team.” She turned to the pixie haired woman. “This is Ashley, she’s human, and she works best with hair.” She then turned to the woman with long black hair and thick, black eye shadow on.  “This is Maryanne, she’s been a vampire for about twenty years, and she’s best on nails and skin.”

It was good to know which one the vampires were. I’ll be sure to keep Lacey and Maryanne away from my neck. “I’m guessing that means you’ll be in charge of my makeup…?”

Lacey nodded. “I’ll be bouncing back and forth between you and Beth, actually. After all, I’m Beth’s personal stylist.”

Jacky came in just then with a huge mug full of hot coffee and handed it to me. I was beginning to relax already. That is, until I was forced to go and change into a satin pink robe, my least favorite color. I sat in the chair with my legs propped up and my head over the sink. Lacey didn’t have to leave until it was to get dark out because Beth was asleep. It amazed me that Lacey and Maryanne were awake during this. “Don’t you feel sick when staying up during the day or something?” I questioned as Ashley began massaging expensive shampoo into my nasty hair. I hadn’t washed it in four days. Oops.

“Yes, I do. Sometimes it’s overwhelming, actually.” Lacey frowned as she leaned against the wall. “But I’ve been training myself to stay up during the day. It builds strength. Drinking a ton of blood during the day helps a lot, especially when mixed with coffee or another energy drink. Truthfully, I’ll probably end up leaving soon to lie down.”

I nodded, knowing how it felt to be so exhausted.

“New vampires have a more difficult time with it. However, older vampires who never stay up during this time have it worse. They become so accustomed to sleeping during the day that it becomes much more painful to stay awake during it. I think Lacey training at her young age is smart,” said Maryanne as she removed the chipped black polish from my nails.

“Does it get easier?” I asked, curious to know more about vampires.

“It does. Before, when I first started doing it, I was throwing up blood. I was only a vampire for a few months at the time. My skin was red and painful and my eyes were bloodshot. It was gross.” Lacey grimaced at the memory. “Now I just experience headaches and nausea like I used to when I had the flu as a human.”

I looked at Maryanne. “Does it bother you at all?”

“It still does. I didn’t start training myself until about seven years ago. It was much worse for me at first. I didn’t have anyone to help me with it. Now I just feel a little sick and feverish.” She gave a small smile.

“Why do it? I know it’s to strengthen yourselves, but is that even worth it?”

“I do it mostly to strengthen myself during the day because, when you’re a vampire, you go into a coma-like state. It’s dangerous to be in if you’re an easy target. A friend of mine from years ago had been killed in her sleep. It was horrific.” Maryanne looked away from me and began filing my nails.