Tony Stark x Reader

Tony reclines in a chair at a desk, a glass of whiskey half falling from his hand. He's asleep.
You take the glass from his hand, because the last thing you need is it falling and him cutting his hand trying to clean the mess up and complaining about it until it heals.
He jumps awake when you grab it. "Oh. It's you. Hey, honey. What's up? I wasn't sleeping. I have work to do. JARVIS, can you pull up--"
"No." You interrupt.
"What?" Tony asks.
"I said no."
"... Yes, I know that. No what?"
"Can't you see that you're literally drowning yourself in your responsibilities, Tony?"
"Figuratively. Figuratively drowning." He drains the remainder of the glass and stands up, wrapping his arms around you. "But I'm fine. It's okay. When I get done--"
"You're never done, Tony. You're overloaded."
"Last I checked, the whole of last month you only came home to sleep."
"Okay, and? I can do it, you just can't."
"You literally just gave the definition of double standards."
"You've got to cut yourself some slack, Tony."
"I don't have time for that, baby."
You're both using the I'm-very-exasperated-so-I'm-speaking-in-a-fake-calm-voice tone.
"Then make time, Tony. You won't get anything done if you don't take care of yourself."
"I don't have time to take care of myself. That's yours and JARVIS' job."
"Do you ever get a really strong urge to smack the shit out of someone?" You smile.
"Why, yes I do."
"I'm going to make dinner, and you're going to sit down and eat it at the table with me."
"I--"
"No."
"Okay."

A few days later, you stare up as Tony--well, Iron Man--flies the nuke through the portal into space or some shit like that. People are cheering.
Tony Stark is gone, and people are celebrating? He's dying in outer space--dead in outerspace--, and these people can feel happiness?
You sit down, watching the hole close around your boyfriend. You feel like you don't have any breath in your lungs. Someone puts their hand on your shoulder. You move your gaze to the right to see Steve.
"Look." Thor says.
You look back up to see Iron Man falling through the sky.
"Son of a gun." Steve says.
You'd been too shocked to say anything earlier, but now you screamed. "Tony!"
"He's not slowing down." Thor says, starting to twirl his hammer.
You stare up in horror. Tony Stark was plummeting to his death, and there was absolutely nothing you could do about it.
But then the Hulk jumps out of no where and grabs him, sliding down the side of a building and landing in front of you. He throws Tony to the ground and rips off Iron Man's mask.
You stare at his closed eyes, your heart sinking. You would have fallen if Steve hadn't grabbed you and held you up.
Hulk roars, and Tony jerks awake. "What happened?" He gasps. "Please tell me nobody kissed me." He says, but then his eyes land on you. "Except you." He adds.
You break from Steve and drop down beside Tony, leaning down, lifting his head and kissing him hard.
After all, Superman was sexy.
He reaches up and pulls you down. "I could get used to this."
As soon as you have him alone, you let him have a piece of your mind.
"Don't you dare do that again! Ever!" You shriek, probably sounding insane, but you don't care.
"Baby--"
"You're not a soldier, Tony! You aren't some freaking real world Superman!"
"You're right. I'm not Superman, I'm Iron Man."
"Tony!"
"What did you want me to do? Let everyone die?"
"No, but I didn't want you to die either." You're crying now, but you aren't angry or sad. You're terrified.
"And I didn't. Happy ending."
"But not for you?"
"Of course it is. I get to spend more time with you, don't I?"
"Shut up." You snap.
"Shutting up."
You run and throw yourself into his arms, kissing him. He kisses you back without hesitation. "What did I do to deserve all this?" He asks.
"What?" You pull back awkwardly.
"You haven't kissed me like this since... never." He says, holding you up off the ground.
"Well, a superhero deserves a little thanks, don't you think?"
"Can I get a bit more?"
"Well, I guess you did just save the world..."

You ignore the anxiety, only because he wants you to. You try your best to help him without giving it away that you're trying to, but it always ends with arguments.
"I want to help you, Tony." You sigh one day.
"I don't need help!" He yells. "I'll sleep on the couch." He adds quietly, and marches out.
You get in bed without him, because that's how it always goes, and he always comes back.
A short while later, the door creaks open. "I can't sleep without you." Tony whispers in the darkness.
"Come on." You say.
He climbs in beside you and wraps his arms around you. "I'm sorry." He whispers.
"It's all right."
You walk into his lab a few days later as he's sitting on the floor, trying to breathe. You sit and put your arm around him.
"Did I ask for your help?" He snaps bitterly once he's calmed down.
"Tony--"
"Don't Tony me. I don't need your freaking help. You'd think you'd realize it's unwelcome by now, considering your IQ." He snaps, walking out.
He doesn't even turn around as you start to cry.
"Dinner's ready." You tell him quietly that evening.
He lifts his head from his hands when you walk in. "What?"
"Dinner's ready."
"Oh, okay. I'll be there in a sec."
You nod and walk out.
"I'm too busy for a damn mental breakdown." You hear him mumble to himself as you leave.
He comes in and pours himself a glass of whiskey. You promptly rip it from his hands and throw it at the wall.
He just stares at you.
"I'm not putting up with your shit any longer! I know you're know you're struggling and I know you're hurting, but that's no damn excuse. Either you tell me what the fuck's wrong with you, or I'm out!" You scream.
"Miss--" JARVIS begins.
"Stay out of it!" You yell.
"I'm sorry." Tony says quickly. "Please don't leave, I'm sorry. I need you. I need you, Y/N. I just get so messed up sometimes and--"
"I don't want your excuses, Tony."
"I don't know what else to say."
"Well, you'd better figure it out pretty damn quick, huh?"
"Please don't leave."
"And why shouldn't I?"
"Y-You probably should. But I love you. I'm sorry. I... I'm drowning, Y/N. I'm fucking drowning and nobody's throwing me a rope."
"No, Tony. That isn't it. I'm throwing plenty of damn ropes, you're just cutting it whenever it gets too close."

A few months later, you're sitting cross legged on the couch.
"We have to sign the Accords." Tony tells you.
Everyone else had gone out in an angry rush until it was just the two of you.
"We have to be put in check." Tony says.
"Is that why you want to, or is it because you can't handle all of the responsibility?"
"I'm perfectly capable--"
"Tony."
"You were right. Remember when you told me I was drowning myself in my responsibilities? You were right."
"And remember when I told you we're throwing the rope and you just won't grab it?" You counter.
"I'm grabbing it now." He says quietly. "You can do whatever you want, baby. I'm not asking you to choose between me and Steve. I want you to do what you think is right."
"I'm glad you have an opinion, because I can't choose one."
"What are you saying?"
"I'm saying that I trust you, and I'm going to follow you."
"I'll probably screw this up like I always do." He warns.
"And I'll still follow you, like I always do."
"I really, truly believe I'm the luckiest man in the universe."
"Since when?"
"Since I realized what I have in you."