Chapter 20: Jasmine Santiago

~Jamie~

"Is everything okay love? Are you hurt? Did something go wrong? Tell me and I'll be on the next flight out." I think she heard that I was scared.

"The nightmares are back Cher," I whimper into the phone. Tears flooded my eyes as I rock myself.

"Shh, shh. Everything will be alright, you have to hold on baby. Demi is there and you have her now. Calm down, everything is okay." She soothed me through the phone and I can tell that she was doing something.

"Okay, okay. But tell me the truth, are you working for him?" I had to know, even if it was a nightmare; I need to know that if all those visits were just to get close to me and betray me in end.

"Baby no! I will never work for a bastard like that! I will never hurt you! And you know that!" She cried into the phone. I nodded but I remember that she can't see me.

"Okay, okay I was... Just making sure is all." I said and bring my legs to my chest and wrap my arms around them and nuzzled my head into them.

"What happen in your nightmare Jay-bird?" She asks me concern and worried.

So I told her, all about it. She knows that I didn't had nightmares anymore, not like years ago that I wake up screaming and crying. Now, they're coming back. She cried with me but soon calm us down, so after a while of talking quietly we hang up. I walk back downstairs and left my phone on the counter and return to Demi's room. I found her on the floor again so I just wrap myself in her arms again and fell asleep with tear stains on my cheeks.

I woke up early the next morning and didn't feel like doing anything after last night so instead I just went down to the living room and crawl onto the couch. I curl myself into a ball and lay there for a while. A couple of minutes later I felt a furry head rub on my arm. I knew it was Louise so I let her cuddle with me and I lay my head on her stomach.

She knew something was wrong so she whine at me, I chuckle quietly and tell her to shh and not to worry. She continue to whine but went quiet after a while of me not responding. I cried softly into her soft fur and she whines.

I don't mind, she at least knows what's wrong. I then heard soft footsteps come downstairs and I knew it was Demi.

~Demi~

I walk down the stairs softly, looking for Jamie. She wasn't in my arms this morning where we fell asleep on the floor, I was worried about last night and why she didn't wake up when I call her. I found her in the living room with Louise and they were cuddled up but Jamie was crying softly into her fur.

I frown, I didn't like seeing Jamie like this. I walk to her and spoon her and I wrap my arms around her waist and bury my face into her hair while Louise laid down on our laps. She nuzzled her head in my neck and didn't say a word through out the whole morning and not even me.

I know she was scared and tired of last night and I understand that she doesn't want to talk about it.

It was noon already and we both haven't ate anything. I was hungry but I wanted Jamie to eat also.

"Baby?" I whisper into her ear. She made a sound of acknowledgement telling she is listening.

"Why don't we go eat something?" I whisper again. I felt her shook her head in my neck.

"No, I don't feel like eating." She says quietly, I sigh but continue to rub circles on her stomach.

"Please baby, for me?" I say hopefully.

She grunts but gets up anyways. I smile at her and stand up, instead of making her walk to the kitchen; I carried her there instead. I set her down softly on the stool and she burys her head in her arms on the table. Louise follow me around the kitchen and I made something simple, just two sandwiches for me and her and I fed Louise also. I set the plate in front of her and sit next to her.

I ate my sandwich and watch Jamie play with hers but takes a couple of bites.

"Demi?" She whispers quietly.

"Yeah?" I say and look at her.

"I want you to meet someone." She says and stand up. She leaves to get change and I do too. I found her downstairs with Louise, her harness on and glasses. I grab my keys and they make a jingle sound. I guess Jamie heard them because she say,

"No, no keys. We're waking." I nodded and set the keys down. I grab her hand and so Louise guide us all the way.

I didn't know where we were going and I wonder who was the person Jamie wanted me to meet.

We found ourselves in a graveyard. I was beyond confuse as why are we here but I didn't say anything just let Louise guide us around. We stop at one of the rows and Jamie lets go of my hand, she walks to one of the tombstones with Louise tugging her to the right direction. She sits down in front of it and with Louise next to her. Her fingers trace the tombstone and a small smile tinted on her lips but tears in her eyes. I walk closer to them and crouch beside them and look at the words that were craved on the tombstone. It said,

'Here lays Jasmine Santiago. Beloved daughter, sister and friend. 1999-2007. Died from a school shooting. Will always be missed and loved. May she rest in peace.'

I gasp slightly and look at Jamie wide eye, she smiles slightly but her eyes full of sadness.

"Hey, how are you doing Jazzy?" She says and stares at the tombstone but knows she can't see it.

Silence. We both know she won't get an answer back so she continues.

"I hope your great and having fun. I want you to meet someone that is important to me. Demi, come here please." She says and I sat next to her softy. I wrap my arm around her waist and she lays her head on my shoulder.

"Remember last time when I said that I would come back here but with Demi? Yeah well this is her, the woman who adopted me not to long ago," She says and nudges me.

I clear my throat and my grip tightens on her. "Hey, I'm Demi; the woman who adopted this beautiful girl and I'm glad that I can meet you even though your dead." My eyes widened and I clasp a hand over my mouth and look down at Jamie. That slipped out by accident.

Jamie laughs and sets her head in my neck, "Demi, you can say that, it's not like a disease or something." I let out a breath and nodded.

We stay there for a while as Jamie told Jasmine of stories and the stuff that me and her did. I know now that this is Jasmine, Jamie's dead twin sister. She told me stories about the two of them and I listen. I listen to all that she say and didn't say a word.

"We were inseparable Demi. She was the responsible one while I was the childish one even if I was older. We do everything together even if it was stupid. We were all love each other as family and we were any ordinary family you see. But two months before our birthday, things got weird."

After she finish talking, she goes quiet and leans on the tombstone and kisses it softly.

"I miss you so damn much. And I will always love you. I'll see you soon sis." I heard her whisper. She leans her head against it and stands up later. I was still sitting on the grass and she turns to me.

"I'll be over there if you need me." And points to something behind me and I turn to see a tree with a tire swing on it.

I nodded and say, "Okay, I'll be there in a bit."

She nods and Louise guides her to the swing. She sits down and swings back and forth while Louise stood near by her, watching.

I turn back to Jasmine tombstone and scoot closer. I laid my hand on it and say,

"I'm sorry that you couldn't be here with Jamie or anything like that but I just wanted to let you know even if your dead that I'm glad that I can meet the sister of my daughter. She is really brave and strong, she can surprise me every day with just walking around the house blind. She's a fighter and I'm proud to call her as my daughter even if it's not by blood. She misses and love you with all her heart and wishes that you could be here, with her and me. Your sister is one of the strongest people I know and I would do anything in the world to keep her happy and safe. I promise you that I would be there for her every step of the way. I'm glad that I could meet someone that was close to her before everything happen. We'll be visiting again, that I assure you."

I too kiss the tombstone and stand up, I look at it for a bit before going back to Jamie. She was still swinging when I got to her and I called her so we can go. She jumps off, grabs Louise harness and they walk over to me. Her hand slips into mines and she leans onto me as we walk home.

Walking home, I got a phone call and it was Chuck. I groan inside my head but pick up anyway.

"What's up Chuck?" I say into the phone. Jamie moves her head up at me and looks at me.

I sometimes forget that she's blind.

"We need you at the studio Demi, just that you can sing the second verse and your home free." He says into the phone and I stop walking. Jamie stop next to me and grips on harder on my hand.

"Dude! It's my free day!" I argue with him.

"I know but we need you here. Be here in ten. And you'll only be here for two hours." And he hangs up leaving no room for me to argue. I sigh and called for a cab. They would be here any minute so I told Jamie.

"Babe, they need me in the studio and I can't argue with them."

She frowns and her grip tightens. "But it's your free day!" She says frustrated.

"I know but I'll only be gone for two hours and I'll be back." I say and put my hands on her shoulders.

"Just two hours?" And she raises an brow.

"Just two hours baby." I confirm. I kiss her forehead and brought out my phone.

"Okay but call Rocky, I don't feel like going back home and spending those two hours alone." She says and hugs me.

"Already on it." I said and as Rocky picks up I told her to meet us at the park since we were walking through it and that if she can watch Jamie for me. She agreed and told me she would be here in a few minutes and we hung up.

Rocky soon gets here and she greets us. We talk but then my cab pulled up so I had to leave. I turn back to the girls and kiss Jamie on the cheek and said,

"Call me if anything happens. I love you." Waved goodbye at Rocky and got in the cab and we were off.

~Jamie~

I heard Demi's cab leave and after I heard no more tires screeching, I felt it.

Something is going to happen.

The bad gut feeling is back and I'm ready for it.