Chapter 25: Former enemies

Jess's thoughts about Dan settled once May Belle and Dylan's friend, Brianna, told him their last name. Fulcher, was their last name. It brought back a memory a few years ago when there was a rumor going on around during the 8th grade when Gary Fulcher  disappeared from school for almost half a year before he came back, rumors that he had been with specialists.

They soon left after the Fulchers came to pick the twins up and it was clear that they were disappointed with their son. Dan looked bored even as Mr Fulcher yelled at him as they got in the car while the Mrs Fulcher just seemed heavily saddened and disappointed. Brianna simply waved her friends goodbye before leaving and the Fulchers gave Jess a thank you before driving away.

     Mrs Aarons grounded May Belle for 2 weeks without Internet, a phone, and a TV. Since Jess was already an adult, she couldn't really 'ground' him or punish him, although she did give him a lecture.

"So," Leslie began, sitting up straight from May Belle's bed and looking at Jess who was sitting on the chair while the two teenagers were on the floor. "What should we do about your dare?"

"I thought that was over with."

"Of course not!" May Belle and Leslie exclaimed together, causing Dylan to laugh.

     The three spent a couple of minutes thinking of a fun dare to give Jess. There were limitations of course, that meant they couldn't dare him to do anything illegal or anything. May Belle and Leslie mostly were the ones who suggested disgusting and weird daree while Dylan was the one who gave the norm.

     "Oh, I know!" May Belle gave a sly smile.

     Around 7, all of them left the house and used Bill's car to head to the lake where they went for Thanksgiving just yesterday. Leslie found May Belle's dare to be both exciting and funny so she used it, adding her own taste and Dylan's. Once they reached the river, she told Jess to strip.

     "You want me to what?"

     "Take off your clothes." Leslie repeated with a smile.

     Jess stared suspiciously at her and May Belle for a minute. "Oh I get it," he said and crossed his arms. "You want me to jump into the freezing lake."

     "Not exactly." Leslie was grinning. "Just take off your clothes first."

     He did as told though embarrassed, and removed his shirt, tossing it to Leslie. But when he started to take off his shorts, Leslie quickly told him that he didn't have to which made him laugh. "OK, so what dare do you want me to do."

     Leslie then pointed to the cliff. "We'll walk all the way up there, and then you'll jump."

     The cliff wasn't high, but it wasn't that low either. It was high enough for a person to jump in and cause a splash to happen. Jess stared blankly at Leslie, his expression clearly telling her that she was crazy. They'd have to walk around the lake which would probably take at least 15 minutes and he would have to walk shirtless in the cold night. But because of the dare, he couldn't escape and so, they walked.

     May Belle's original idea was for Jess to jump from the dock, but Leslie wanted it to be more - exciting and thrilling. She remembered that there was a jump off point at the lake so she added that in, and also the shirtless part. Dylan added the part where Jess would have to stay in the lake for 5 minutes before getting back to the shore.

     Once they reached the cliff, Leslie and May Belle told him what he'd have to do. He stepped forward to the edge and looked down. "Couldn't I have just jumped from the dock or something?" He turned back to Leslie who had her arms crossed, a grin on her face.