Chapter 7: Accepted

Jess stared at the ceiling emptily, thinking what would happen if a hairy vulture were to suddenly fly into the room. Weird thoughts but it just suddenly popped into his mind. He sighed and covered his eyes with his arm. It would only be just a few more weeks before graduation.

18 years... wow... time flies by so fast, he thought. Seeing as that he had done his chores and it was quite quiet downstairs, he decided to draw, but only until he got his glass of milk. He loved milk. When he returned, he took out some clean papers and started drawing on them while listening to music.

    As he hummed to the song and tapped his foot, he knocked the glass of milk over when the door suddenly swung open and Leslie barged in with a yell. "My table!" He cried. "How come you haven't applied for college yet?" He could hear Leslie ask through his headphones.

    Jess turned around and sighed. "Because I don't want to..." he pulled the headphones to his neck and took the wet paper, crumpling it.

Taking notice of the milk spilled all over his table and most notably his drawings, she let an 'oops' out. "I am so sorry..." she apologized as she walked over to the table. It was such a shame. The drawings looked so good too. "It's fine. Wasn't really serious about any of this anyway." He smiled, crumpling the papers and then throwing them to the trash.

    "So what about college?" He reminded with a chuckle as he sat on his bed. "Who told ya anyways?" He lifted an eyebrow. He hadn't even told his parents about the matter. So the person must be...

    "May Belle did. She was talking to me about college and stuff earlier when she mentioned about you."

    Of course. Only May Belle knew about that. He let it slip when she was bugging him about school stuff too. At such a young age, you'd wonder why she was already thinking about college.

    "Blabber mouth..." Jess muttered.

    "So what's this about not going to college?" Leslie asked slowly as she sat down on his office chair, crossing her arms to her chest and putting her leg on her other.

"Well you know how my family's finance is. You think we'll have enough money for my college? May Belle and Joyce Ann are still going to school. They'll need the education more than I do." He explained patiently. He didn't really care much for college anyways.

    Leslie bit her bottom lip after he was done explaining his side. "OK then, how are your grades?" Jess shrugged his shoulders. "Fine, I guess. I'm not failing anything." He grinned at the last part.

    "Well then why don't you get a scholarship? A lot of colleges offer art scholarships. You're just gonna have to send in your artwork." She said with more enthusiasm this time. She smiled cheekily. "It solves the problem. You're going to college."

After Leslie finished explaining the system to Jess, she brought him down to tell the Aarons about it. Seeing as that they didn't have to pay any expense for it, they nonchalantly agreed at the idea.

Over the next couple of days, Jess tried out new ideas for his drawings to level up his skills for the scholarship.

As Jess dumped some of his books in his locker, Leslie came up to him with a letter in her hands. "Hey," he said.

"It's here."

Jess closed his locker. "What's here?" He zipped his bag and peered at the letter. It was from a college. "Open it." He told her happily. Without a doubt he was sure she'd get in. Heck, she could probably even get into Harvard if she chose it.

Leslie took a deep breath before opening the letter. She unfolded the paper and then silently read it to herself, her eyes trailing down to the words.