Chapter 17: Suck n' Blow

A month had passed ever since Jess and Leslie's leave and May Belle was already missing her older siblings. Leslie was the older sister she wanted to have so she considered her her sibling. Not many things had really changed ever since they left except it was a lot more quieter in the house and it felt a little empty. Except she learnt some colorful language over the past month from a new friend she and Dylan gained. Dylan would still come over every day now and they would hang out until evening. They became a lot more closer when she told him about Terabithia.

Dinner was oddly quiet. Brenda and Ellie strangely weren't bickering like usual and Mr and Mrs Aarons were having hushed and short conversations like always. May Belle ate her food quietly, looking up to everyone's faces from time to time. She noticed that Brenda would glance at Ellie sometimes too for some reason.

     Then the sound of spoons and forks being placed at the plate and Ellie clearing her throat got everyone's attention. They all looked up with questioning expressions.

     "I have something to tell ya'll..." Ellie started softly, her eyes dropping at her plate.

     The silence was overwhelming for some reason and from the look on everyone's faces, May Belle could tell that it was going to be serious and dire so she decided to crack up a joke to ease the table. "What? Are you pregnant?" She smirked and drank some water.

      "That ain't funny, May Belle." Mr Aarons said sternly to his daughter and looked back at Ellie.

     Ellie rolled her eyes away at her younger sister and then let out a sigh.

     "What is it sweetie?" Mrs Aarons asked gently.

     "No, dad... mom..." Ellie began shakily and tried to calm her voice. She took a breath and cleared her throat. "I'm pregnant."

May Belle almost spitted her water out and she choked on her water, coughing violently. She grabbed Joyce Ann's glass and drank all the water as Joyce Ann patted her back, not really shock from the recent given information. She heard several spoons and forks dropping all at once and could tell that Brenda was trying her utmost at not seemingly looking like she was laughing.

     The 3 siblings were soon told to go up to their room even before they all could finish their separate dinners and from the way their father sounded, it was pretty clear that they had to listen so they obediently went up the stairs and left the eldest of the family to face her horrors all on her own.

     May Belle immediately flopped on her bed and dialed Jess's phone number after finding her phone. Even though there was a 3 hour time difference between Virginia and Los Angeles and the time in Virginia being 8, she knew that Jess wouldn't mind being called up even if it was his napping time right now and she couldn't resist spilling the shocking news to her brother.

      On the other side of the country, Jess was indeed sleeping just like May Belle expected when she called. He wanted to ignore her call and continue with his nap but he didn't get many calls from her and her calling him must mean that something important happened for her to call so he roused himself and took the call.

      "Yeah?" He let out a yawn and glanced at the next bed where Leslie was doing her own thing.

"JESS, JESS, JESS, JESS!" May Belle sounded absolutely hyper and she was literally squealing and Jess could tell that she was trying not to yell.

"Woah slow down. Why do you sound so hyper?" A thought entered and he thought of teasing his sister. He smirked. "Did Dylan kiss ya or something?"

     "Ugh no, you ass." She grunted.

     Jess looked horrified at the language his sister had used and Leslie took note of the expression on his face that said 'wtf' altogether so she raised an eye brow. "What's up?"