Chapter 22: Beginning of Thanskgiving

One by one, Jess's relatives started coming into the house. First it was his grandparents from his mother's side who came, then his grandparents from his father's side, his mother's sister's family and his father's older brother. Jess's aunt, Jeanette, had 4 children and most of them were already grown up. Just like Jess, his cousin, Nicholas was in college. The other 3 were in their early 20s just like Ellie and Brenda, so May Belle and Joyce Ann didn't really have anyone who they could talk to, except Dylan who had joined them since his parents still hadn't come back.

For some reason even though they were the least fortunate family in the whole family, they would always be the one hosting the dinner. Not that Jess was complaining, but it was just weird how every year they'd need to be the one to prepare the food.

Jess and Leslie thought of visiting each other during Thanksgiving after a few hours of spending time with their families, and they both agreed, seeing as that it would be nice if they met each other's relatives. Nicholas was pretty much the opposite of artistic Jess. He wasn't talented in many things and he wasn't intelligent either. He was foul mouthed and insensitive, too. To make it even worse, he used to bully Jess when they were younger, even till now except it was a little toned down since they grew outbid immaturity.

"I have a girlfriend in college. She's pretty hot." Nicholas bragged as if having a hot girlfriend was the best thing anyone could bring up to the table right now.

Jess lifted an eye brow to his other cousins who shook their head to him as if saying to ignore their little brother. He looked at his phone and checked the time. Just 10 more minutes before he could leave to go to Leslie's.

     "So, do you 2 still remember taking baths together?" Their grandmother asked gently. "Mary and Jeanette used to put you 2 in the house's bathtub when you were still little."

Jess's older sisters and Nicholas's older sister snorted, earning them scowls from their little brother. Jess couldn't imagine sharing a bath with his immature cousin, even if they were still babies. Nicholas stuck his tongue out in disgust while Jess cringed.

     "That's dumb shit grandma," Nicholas carelessly said and then looked at his mother. "I can't believe you made me share a bath with this faggot."

Ever since everyone knew about Jess's artistic talent, Nicholas had been labeling him and calling him insulting names. Faggot for example, to Jess's dismay. Jess always wondered what was so girly about being good in drawing when he thought that it was a skill that was hard to master.

     Silence dawned over the table, all of the adults trying to control their anger from bursting, especially Nicholas's parents who looked furious and embarrassed the most.

"Hey idiot, watch your mouth." Nicholas's eldest brother, Henry, reprimanded him quietly.

     Jess's mother's side was a religious family, believing that vulgar words should not be thrown around recklessly. It was only Mary who didn't attend church regularly because she had a fit with the pastor a long time ago and would only attend during Easter.

     Nicholas became silent and he quietly ate his food, not bothering to utter an apology or even look at anyone else. When he did, he would mostly scowl or glare.

Each relative began telling about how their life was now, with all the new things that has been happening to them. Mostly Ellie and Henry had the most interesting stories to tell.

     Soon, Jess saw that it was time for him to go and was more than glad that he and Leslie made plans to visit each other. He asked his parents for permission earlier before Thanksgiving started and fortunately they allowed him to bail for a while. Jess gave his relatives brief hugs except Nicholas whom he just ignored before leaving the house and taking the motorcycle.