Chapter 11: One last time

As they drove down the road, they experience many bumps along the way. One in particular was a big one which made Jess who was asleep, lean on Leslie and rest his head on her shoulders.

Leslie glanced at him and caught a whiff of his hair's scent. His hair tickled her nose which made her cover her nose and give a quiet sneeze, earning a giggle from Caitlyn.

"Is his hair soft?"

"They actually are..." Leslie replied as she patted his soft brown hair and ran her fingers through it. She never really touched his hair before.

She showed a small smile as Jess said something that was not understandable. He looked like a cute baby when he was asleep.

"You still love him, don't 'cha?" Caitlyn said with a smirk, looking at her through the rear mirror. "Right?"

"I don't really know now." Leslie replied and then stared out to the window.

"Huh?"

"Jess was the only guy I knew and was friends in Lark Creek with when I moved. He's the closest to me, I guess. I'm not really sure anymore whether I really loved him or not now."

"I don't understand. Don't you love him? Like as more than just a friend?" Caitlyn asked, confused by Leslie's answer.

"Define love." Leslie said, turning to her.

"Isn't it the feeling when your heart starts racing so fast when you see someone or something?"

"I guess so..."

"Then what's the matter?"

"I don't know. Maybe at one point I did love Jess. I mean, I was really happy when he came to my window that afternoon and told me he loved me. I guess maybe after some time after that I just lost that feeling for him. And when he said he kissed Sonia, my trust for him completely broke and the feeling just, you know - disappeared."

     After a moment of silence, Caitlyn sighed. "Damn that's deep. Such a shame... you two were really cute together."

Sometime later, Jess suddenly made a sound and his chest rose up in a weird way. He looked like he was going to throw up.

"Um Kate?"

"Oh not in my car, pal." Caitlyn said and then pulled over to the side.

The rest of the ride to their street was quiet until they finally reached the area and slowed down at the road in between the Burke's and Aarons's. Leslie then told Caitlyn to pull over at the Aarons's so she could bring him to his room as soon as possible.

When they reached the house, all lights were off which told her that the Aarons's must've been asleep by now. She looked at her phone and realized that it was already 1 in the morning. She gently woke Jess up and told him that they were at his house as Caitlyn unlocked the doors.

Jess slowly opened his eyes. His vision was still blurred and he was dazed. He groaned and tossed his head back, rubbing his forehead. The throbbing in his head felt like he was having a migraine.

"Come on," Leslie said and wrapped his arm around her neck before carefully pulling him out of the car. Caitlyn helped as they walked up the porch and knocked on the door.

A few minutes had passed and no one had still gotten the door and they didn't hear any steps coming down either. "They must still be sleeping..." Leslie mumbled. Her gaze fell on Jess's pockets. "Do you have your keys with ya?" She asked him slowly so he wouldn't get confuse with what she was saying. He gave a weak nod. She looked at him at first and then remembered that she was still wearing Caitlyn's jacket. "Oh! Here." She took it off and handed it back.