Chapter 14: Contradiction

A week had passed ever since Jess and Leslie snuck off with their friends in the night and Jess was pretty sure that he had lost any chance of getting Leslie back.

     Jess thought at first that it must've had something to do with her seeing him having a panic attack that day but she wasn't that type of girl to let down a person just because he was a freak or something. Although he knew that, he had asked Leslie about it and she simply became offended with his assumptions and instead told him that she just wasn't ready to be in a relationship again, and certainly not with him yet.

      At that point he felt relieved, like a load of weight had just been taken off of his chest. Leslie let him down gently and he was glad that she didn't hate him. He wouldn't be able to bear the thought of Leslie hating him or bearing any ill thoughts against him, though he knew that the sweet, loving and caring Leslie Burke could never do that to someone.

     There was another thought that was stuck in his mind; the kiss. She kissed him before she left that night. Leslie could've simply just left with a goodbye, but she did it with a kiss, on the lips. Jess thought it was strange but he didn't bring it up with Leslie. He did though, with Sally.

      Since Sally was a girl, he thought that maybe she had the answers which he had been searching for. It turned out to be more personal than that.

"She kissed you, huh? And then just left?"

Jess nodded and lifted an eye brow when Sally put his arm around her shoulder. She said that it was cold and she wanted to get warmth. The chill cold in the night and her not wearing a jacket was enough for naive Jess to trust what she said.

"Then that means that Les still likes you. I mean, a girl wouldn't just kiss a guy if she doesn't like him." Sally quipped, giving a devious smile at Jess.

"But she said that things between us were over. Why would she say that if she still likes me?" Jess questioned and became slightly red when Sally leaned on him.

"I don't know, Jess. Us girls are complicated to understand. Maybe she isn't ready for a relationship yet or something."

"She did say something like that..." Jess mumbled as he turned away because Sally's face suddenly came close to his.

Then Sally did something Jess didn't expect. A kiss on the cheek.

He should've known it sooner. There were many signs that said that this girl had a crush on him. Jess abruptly got up, his hand on his cheek as he looked at the girl with eyes wide open. Sally looked at him, clearly amused.

"S-Sally, I know we've become close and all but I have to tell you that I simply can't be into you. I mean you're nice and pretty and all but..."

The next few words in Jess's mouth didn't manage to leave when a stranger, a girl wearing boyish clothes came and wrapped her arms around Sally's waist from behind and kissed her ear. Sally seemed to take pleasure in that and smiled before turning her face slightly to the girl and then gave the girl a quick kiss.

Jess stood there dumbfounded as the scene unfolded in front of him. Then Sally asked the girl to go ahead first and that she'll be with her in a minute. After sending the girl away, Sally turned back to Jess and burst into laughter after seeing her friend's expression.

"Sorry, did you think I was into you, Jess?" She calmed down for a second then laughed again. Jess was becoming embarrassed.

"I admit that I think I've been a little touchy but sorry if I disappoint you," Sally continued, still giggling. "I just don't go that way."