Chapter 9: The truth

After Bill went to the house, Leslie dropped her bag to their usual tree. "On your mark, get set, go!" She sprinted off before Jess could, smiling as she did. She looked back and realized that he wasn't running. She stopped and trotted back to him. "Hey, what's wrong?"

Jess bit his bottom lip and dug his hands deep into his pockets. "Let's forget about going to Terabithia for today." He suggested slowly. That unsettling feeling in his stomach was rolling.

"Huh?" Leslie tilted her head and crossed her arms. "What'sa matter? You're the one who suggested that we go to Terabithia today." She chuckled and playfully punched him on the shoulder.

"Let's just forget about it, OK?" Jess feigned a smile, patting her head as if she was little Joyce Ann before walking away from her.

Leslie watched in confusion as Jess started back to his house. She couldn't help but grumble. It was his idea to go to Terabithia, and now he was bailing out on her. Something must've happened back in school. She knew it, but she didn't try to press anymore because it seemed like he wasn't going to give her anything.

"Hey kiddo, I thought you and Jess were going somewhere?" Bill asked with a chuckle as he saw Leslie come in.

"He had some things to do." Leslie gave a small smile and headed up to her room.

As she walked towards her room, she saw her mom walking out of her work room, so focused with what she was thinking that she forgot to turn and thus, bumped into the wall.

"Oh, Judy!" Leslie came to her and almost laughed. "What are you so focused on thinking about that you weren't looking at where you were going?"

Judy rubbed her forehead and gave a chuckle. She pushed her glasses up to her nose. "Oh nothing. I was just thinking about this new story that popped into my head that's all." She answered.

"Must've been really interesting then." Leslie beamed a smile and started to go to her room.

"Oh, Leslie?"

Leslie turned to her mom.

"What's your view on love?" She asked as a warm smile came to her face.

Leslie gave a little sigh and then tossed her head back. She looked at her mom with a smile. She reminded Judy of how she was in her younger years when she first fell in love with Bill.

     "It's amazing."

Meanwhile, Jess was flipping through his old sketchbooks, trying to senselessly rid the horrific memory of what happened in school. Maybe a couple looks of his horrific old drawings from 13 years ago when he was only 5-years-old would get him to forget.

And boy were they really horrific. The thought of maybe the drawings weren't even his occurred to him after seeing them. They were really bad, as in- beyond horrible. But even the disastrous drawings of his didn't make his guilty conscience go away.

"Hey Jess!" May Belle suddenly barged in, causing Jess to close the book immediately, making the dust waft everywhere.

Dylan appeared beside May Belle and noticed the old drawings. All three of them coughed when the dust reached them.

     Once the dust disappeared, the two teenagers huddled next to Jess. "What's that?" Dylan asked curiously.

     "It was drawings from when I was like 5." Jess answered plainly and was about to put it away until May Belle snatched it away from him. "Hey!"

     May Belle ran to the corner. "Give it back, May Belle." He warned. The drawings were too embarrassing to show anyone. May Belle would absolutely laugh in his face if she saw them. He got up and tried to take it back from her.