Chapter 23: End of Thanksgiving

"No offense, but your cousin Nicholas is sorta annoying..." Leslie whispered to Jess and May Belle as she trailed behind them, wanting to be the last since she was too tired to get into mind thinking questions with the cousins of the Aarons who were fully mature for their age.

     Nicholas had been throwing her 'looks' that suggested that he was trying to get her interested in him which Leslie only found all the more so creepy.

     Jess snorted. "Good to know I'm not the only one who thinks he's a dick."

"A dick? Well I wouldn't go so far as to say that..."

"He called Jess a faggot earlier during the meal." Dylan informed her.

"We also heard him saying he's gonna have you fawning over him by the end of the day." May Belle added with a disgusted expression.

     "He's a shithead." Leslie declared proudly, completely forgetting what she was about to say earlier.

     "Leslie, right?" Nicholas suddenly slowed down to match their pace, sounding too friendly with Leslie as if they had been friends for years.

     "No. I'm Emily." Leslie sarcastically replied.

     Jess, May Belle and Dylan snorted at the change of attitude towards Nicholas, earning a glare from the cousin.

     After a half an hour walk, they found themselves standing in front of a lake with a small lake cabin at the edge of the lake. Leslie had never been at this part of Lark Creek, and it was a beautiful sight to be at. In some ways, it reminded her of the lake house at Ellie's neighborhood, except it was a lot smaller and was made of wood.

"Is this where your family goes to every Thanksgiving?" Leslie asked Jess as they followed everyone into the small cabin.

     Jess nodded and hooked an arm around her neck. "Every year someone hides something in the woods and all of us will have to find it." He whispered and then looked at Joyce Ann. "This year it's Joyce's turn to hide the item."

     When he finished explaining the rules, Brenda pulled out an old box from under the small bed and put it on the table, making some dust waft into her face which caused her to cough and frown. She was always the one who had to put the box on the table because of her parents forcing her...

"OK, guys. You know the drill." She sighed and rolled her eyes, crossing her arms to her chest.

Everyone then took out their piece of paper with a number on it and then placed them inside the box. Leslie looked at Jess confusingly. Jess simply smiled and then took out another piece of paper he had, scribbling the same number in his paper on it and then handing it over to her. They placed their names together.

Brenda shook the box for 10 seconds violently and then settled it back down again. One by one, all of them pushed their hand inside the box and retrieved a piece of paper.

The pairings were decided with the box. If a person retrieved the same number that ranges from 1-19 as the other did, then they'd be paired, which is exactly why Jess wrote the same number he did on Leslie's.

As planned, Jess and Leslie were paired up together and May Belle and Dylan were too. Joyce Ann was the one who hid the item so she didn't need to play. Nicholas however, was stuck with Brenda, much to her annoyance. Ellie couldn't play because she was pregnant and all so she stayed with Joyce Ann. After everyone was paired up, Joyce Ann described to them the object she hid, saying that it was a grey colored object shaped like a small ball. That wasn't too hard to find. All they'd have to do was bring the item back to Joyce Ann and have her confirm if it was what she hid, and they could only bring 1 item at a time.