Chapter 18: One-sided intentions

"I wish Jess and Leslie were here..." May Belle confessed sadly, staring into the forest as Terabithians roamed freely.

     "It's just another month till they come back for Thanksgiving." Dylan chuckled as he came over and sat next to her. They were visiting Terabithia today due to the next few days of being unable to due to their school camp that was starting tomorrow.

     "Still too long." May Belle sighed, rolling her eyes and then lied down, her eyes gazing at the blue sky.

"Wanna hang out with Dan?"

     "I think he's becoming too much of a bad influence on me," May Belle replied dryly and then smirked. "Jess commented on my language the other day when I called to tell him about Ellie. I called him an ass."

     Dylan laughed. "Rebellious May Belle? That's a shocker."

     May Belle playfully punched his arm. "Shut up. Besides, isn't he away on some camp or something?"

     "Well it was just an idea. His parents sent him for disciplinary stuff after he pulled that prank on Principal Turner last week." He grimaced. "I wouldn't like it much either if someone trashed my room like that."

"Maybe he is a bad influence on us..." May Belle said thoughtfully after looking back at the past activities they had done with their new friend. It wasn't exactly something they could proudly show off to their parents.

     Dylan lied next to her, letting out a heavy sigh. "Yeah, I guess so."

After a long peaceful and quiet silence, they eventually decided that it was time to go home seeing as the sun was setting. As they walked to the bridge, a thought entered Dylan's mind and he only asked about it when they arrived at the bridge.

     "Was this tree always here?" He asked, touching the bark of the tree that was under numerous wooden planks. An interest had sparked in him after finding out that Jess had built the bridge by himself.

     "In this way?" Dylan looked at her, expecting for an answer. She shook her head as she walked toward the bridge. "No," she walked to the other side and then glanced at the old apple crab tree that stood beside the creek. "It fell down after a rainstorm and Jess decided to build a bridge across it after..." she trailed and touched a branch that had a broken rope around it. Jess had taken the branch and put it near the tree as a symbol that it was once used as an entrance to Terabithia.

"After what?" Dylan questioned as he followed her to civilization's side and lifted an eye brow when she didn't continue.

"Well like I told you, Jess and Leslie were the ones who found this side of the area," she picked up the branch, showing it to Dylan. "They found a rope tied to the tree back then and Leslie thought that swinging across would be a fun idea." A smile was brought upon her face when she remembered the times when she would watch her older brother running off to the end of the road with his then-best friend.

"What happened to the other end?" Dylan asked, taking note of the short end of the rope and that it was clear that it had snapped.

May Belle sighed and then put the stick back to its place. "That's the important part." She told him as she began walking back to her house.

     The walk back to the Aarons was slow and informative with May Belle sharing some personal things with Dylan that no one else but the family, the Burke's and a few of Jess's very close friends knew, starting with the fact that Leslie was thought to be dead from hitting her head and drowning in the creek. Dylan didn't mind that the sun had already set and it was quite dark when they reached home. The Aarons would let him to stay the night if his father didn't come to get him.