Chapter 13

April hurried to the bathroom the whole time praying she wouldn't trip or anything else that would embarrass her any further

April hurried to the bathroom the whole time praying she wouldn't trip or anything else that would embarrass her any further. She hurried into a stall and quickly closed the door behind her. She heard people coming in and suddenly their conversation made her feel like she was a scene right out of highschool.

"Did you see that woman with Johnathan Giordano, what was she wearing? Polyester?" One woman said

"She was chumming down that food like she hasn't ate in days" the other one replied

"I know I felt like I was going to throw up just from watching her"

"Johnathan was so embarrassed. You saw how he yelled at her"

Not being able to listen to anymore of their gossip April opened the stall door and walked out. She went to the sink and washed her hands. They had stopped talking and turned to look at her obviously knowing she was in there. When they started whispering she ran out of the bathroom not bothering to go back to the table she walked right out of the restaurant.

She sat on a bus stop bench. Waiting for her boss to come out of his meeting.

"What happened in there" she heard him say from behind her.

"I just needed some air" she replied getting up.

"OK"

"Are we leaving now?"

"Yes. I promised Hailey I would get her from school today so I had to cut the meeting short"

"OK. I'll catch the bus home"

"I'll drop you off on the way"

"That's OK."

"I said I'll take you home"

Feeling too confused and emotional she nodded her head in agreement for fear if she opened her mouth she would only start crying.

The car ride was an awkward silence. The whole time she just wanted to curl up and hug a pillow. When the car stopped outside of her apartment building she wasted no time opening the door and rushing out.

"Nice gentleman you have there. You did good for yourself. He paid your rent up for the rest of the year." Mr. Wilson said to her as she ran into him getting off the elevator.

April looked at him stunned. Obviously her boss had left out that little detail. Not knowing what to say or think she smiled at her landlord before hitting the close button on the elevator.

Why would he do all this for me when he doesn't even like me! And what did he mean earlier when he said he doesn't wish I was someone else?

As soon as she got into her apartment she walked over to her dresser and stared into the mirror. She looked nothing like the women Johnathan Giordana associates with. Her hair was too unruly curly and looked entirely too greasy, her clothes too plain and outdated, and suddenly that was beginning to matter to her, it bothered her that he doesn't see her the way he sees them. He was embarrassed by her. The way she was eating that food like she couldn't get enough. She just wanted to forget the conversation she heard in the bathroom.

Just then her phone began to ring and without looking at the caller ID she picked up.

"Hello"

"Hi beautiful"

"Who is this?" She took the phone away from her ear to look at the number but she didn't recognize it.

"I'm hurt you don't know the sound of your date's voice. I know you'd know my brothers voice if you heard it" he teased.

"Jason hi. I'm sorry I didn't expect to hear from you yet. Wait are you calling to cancel? Of course you are. Guys like you and your brother doesn't date women like me"

There was a long pause and had it not been for small sounds on the other end of the line April would have thought he hung up on her. Still she waited for him to speak again.

"What happened? My idiot brother must have done something for you to be beating yourself up like this"

"It's not just him, its me and those women. Its nothing"

"Tell me"

The sincerity in his voice surprised her. She quickly found herself reciting the events of the day. He listened and gave his input and in no time had her feeling a lot better. She decided she likes this Giordano.

"Tell you what. I'll send a car for you before the ball. Say around ten in the morning. I'll send you to one of the best beauty technician I know. After which you'll do a little shopping. My treat"

"I can't let you do that Mr. Giordano"

"You can and you will. And please call me Jason"

"OK. Thank you so much. I've never had a makeover before"

"Pleasure is all mine. Besides I think its just what my brother needs"

"What do you mean?"

"Well when he came home complaining about the way you lick your lips I figured he needs just a little more temptation to tip him over the edge. Until then mio amico"

April smiled as she placed the phone on her bed and strolled into her bathroom. Too small for her liking but it serves its purpose.

So that's why he yelled at me? I was distracting him? Me?...Jason must have got it wrong.

She stepped under the shower and allowed it to sooth her body. She reached for her shower gel and bath her skin then turned the water off and wrapped herself into a towel as she steppes out of the shower. After brushing her hair she climbed under her covers and was thankful that sleep came easy, even if it came with dreams of a man she now secretly longed for but knows she will never have.