Chapter 5

April tried to hide another yawn as she sat typing up the rest of the notes he had given her

April tried to hide another yawn as she sat typing up the rest of the notes he had given her. Her fingers were threatening the cramp from all the typing but she knew she had no choice but to go on.

She glanced at her boss sitting by his desk across the room. His brows knitted in concentration and his eyes fixed on the file he was reading. His usually perfect hair was now disheveled from constantly running his fingers through it in frustration. Suddenly he looked up and caught her staring at him. She quickly looked away and began typing as she felt her face heat up in embarrassment.

As if she wasn't embarrassed enough her stomach suddenly started rumbling. This time she didn't dare look at him.

"Was that your stomach?" She heard him ask.

"Yes" she replied still not looking at him.

"Well why didn't you say you're hungry!?" He snapped at her.

"I'll eat something when I get home" she replied

She looked up when she heard his chair scrape against the hardwood floor. He was grumbling something about stubborn woman and something about lasagna.

Lasagna? Maybe the hunger made me hear that part. Can someone be fired for their stomach rumbling? You never know with this man.

Her thoughts were interrupted a few minutes later when he placed a plate loaded with lasagna on the table before her along with a glass of champagne. The delicious aroma made her stomach grumble and her mouth water for a taste.

"Eat, the last thing I need is a lawsuit for an employee clasping on the job from hunger!" He ordered

She picked up the plate glad to find it was warm. She hates cold food. She reached for the fork and put a bite of the lasagna in her mouth and had to stop herself from moaning when the burst of flavors hit her taste buds.

Seemingly satisfied that she was now eating he went back to his desk to resume reading over the document that he had asked her to bring to him. April polished off the food in no time and took her time sipping from the champagne while she work.

She found herself glancing at him across the room ever so often. This man is a mystery, like a safely coded vault designed to keep people out. She found herself wondering if his daughter was also one of the persons he kept out.

Not realizing she was now openly staring at him while she was lost. She blushed when he made a comment on it.

"You're staring. I hope that means you're through typing up all those notes" he said

"Um, sorry sir and yes I'm finished typing" she replied looking away from his face.

"Good, save it and send it to my email. I think we're done for the night. In good time too its almost midnight" he said

At the mention of the time April quickly glanced at her watch and panicked. She hated taking the subway late at night with all the creeps that are usually on. Taking a cab all the way home was also out of the question.

"Is there a problem?" He asked

"Uh, no sir I just need to call a taxi to take me to the subway station" she replied

"A taxi at this hour!? Are you insane!?" He roared at her causing her to jump in fright.

"Its the only way for me to get home, sir" she replied

"What about your car?" He asked

"I don't have a car sir" she replied

He stared at her as if she had suddenly grown another head.

"Who doesn't own a car?" He asked

"Person's that can't afford one?" She replied

Not everyone had the luxury of growing up in money. Some of us actually struggle to make two ends meet.

She thought to herself. She didn't dare say it out loud for fear of upsetting him further.

"You will not take a cab at this hour." He said

"Sir?" She replied suddenly feeling confused.

"I will have one of the company drivers fetch you and deliver you home" he said walking out of the room barking orders into his cellphone.

Fetch? Deliver? Why do I suddenly feel like a dog's toy. Even when doing a favor this man made me feel like a lowly servant begging for food from his table.

She organized the papers in front of her and put them into a folder. Then she reached for the clasp in her hair and released her curls from the bun she had worn into the office. The headache she felt coming on immediately began to subside. She used her fingers to massage the root of her hair trying get the headache to completely go away.

"The car is here" she heard him say

She removed her hand from her hair and looked up to see him standing in the doorway, a strange look on his face as he glanced away from her.

I must look atrocious with my hair all over the place and cheap makeup probably wearing off from being worn so long for the day.

She got up and walked to the door with him leading the way. He opened the front door to reveal a black car in the driveway with the driver standing by the opened backdoor.

"Thank you for the lovely meal and for the ride home" she said turning back to him.

He didn't say a word. He just stood looking at her with a strange expression that she could not quite put her finger on. Then with a terse nod of his head he turned and closed the door and left OK standing there on his doorstep.

"You're a strange man Johnathan Giordano" she said to herself then turned and walked down the steps to the waiting car. She gave the driver her address then relaxed in the backseat as he drove her home. This time watching the scenery go from mansions and clean streets to city lights and apartment buildings. Thoughts of her boss never leaving her mind as she struggled to make sense of what could possibly have happened to make this man so cold.