Chapter 11

"April! April baby wait up!"

She turned and saw Gerald crossing the street coming towards her.

"What are you doing here?" She asked as he caught up to her

"I came to see you. What's up baby?" He replied

"My standards, bye" she said as she turned and walked into her apartment building, praying he wouldn't follow her. Last thing needed right now was him asking her for money she doesn't have.

"April!" She heard her name being called again. She turned ready to tell Gerald to hit the road when she realized it was her landlord who she's being avoiding for the past two weeks. She was waiting for the end of the month to pay him when she gets paid.

"Oh hi Mr. Wilson" she said digging through her bag to find her keys.

"April you've been avoiding me. Your rent is long overdue. If you can't afford to live her you know I'll have to give your apartment away." He replied

"I know and that's why I just got a new job with better pay." She finally found her keys and opened the door.

"April I need half the rent by tomorrow. You're overdue by three months" said Mr. Wilson

"But Mr. Wilson..."

"No buts! Half the rent tomorrow or get ready to leave by the end of the week!"

He turned on his heels and marched away angrily, grumbling to himself as he went along. With a sigh April walked into her tiny apartment and sat down.

"Now what do I do. If I pay him I'll be behind on my student loans. If I don't pay my student loans I could face court time, either way I'll be eating sandwiches and noodles for breakfast lunch and dinner, and I'd I don't pay him I'll be homeless unless I move back home to my parents. I'd die from embarrassment I'd I have to do that. God please what do I do!"

She walked around her tiny bedroom murmuring to herself. While undressing. She climbed under the covers and closed her eyes willing sleep to come but no such luck. Instead the events of her day keep on replaying in her mind.

"Virgins are not my type! April Edwards is not my type...Half the rent tomorrow or get ready to leave by the end if the week!"

She flipped over and screamed into her pillow. A few minutes later she heard her neighbor tap the wall telling her to quiet down.

Darn these paper thin walls.

***

"Hey April"

She turned to see Cindy hurrying to catch her by the elevator. Cindy works two floors below her. She met her the day she ran out to get pastries from the bakery next door. Since then they've always bumped into each other around the building and always stopped to talk before having to part ways. Cindy is small built with curves that made April envy her. With chestnut colored hair, straight and shiny hanging right off her shoulders.

"Hey Cindy" she replied. Trying her best to seem happy.

"You look like you just rolled right out of bed and right to work" Cindy kidded but it made April even more self conscious of her appearance.

"I didn't sleep much last night" she confessed

"Boy trouble?" Cindy asked

"Not exactly" April replied

"I look forward to hearing more when I run into you later. Here's my stop. Have a good day" Cindy waved as the elevator door closed

April braced herself as she got to her floor and walked to her desk. She wish she could avoid seeing her boss but knew that wasn't going to happen. She quietly walked to her desk praying his door was closed. Her heart sank when she got closer and realized it was open. She walked by it preparing to say a quick good morning but sighed in relief when she realized he wasn't there yet.

Hearing her phone ring she quickly fished it out of her bag and answered as she went to sit by her desk.

"Hello?...yes this is April Edwards...you're calling to confirm my payment?...but I didn't pay you yet...he did what!?"

Just then Johnathan walked into the office. He glanced at her before walking into his office without saying a word. Confusion ran through her mind as she listened to the other end of the line. After thanking the woman she hung up and sat staring at the phone. She got up and walked into his office without knocking.

"You forgot how to knock?" He asked without looking up at her.

"Why did you do it?" She asked instead.

"Am I suppose to know what you're talking about?" He replied

"That was the student loan on the line. They told me you paid off all my bills. Why would you do that?"

"Usually someone else would just say thank you"

"I'm not anyone else as much as you would like for me to be. I just don't understand why you would help me"

"Don't make such a big deal"

"But it is a big deal. My debt was over thirty seven thousand dollars in student loan alone."

"While you're at it, let me just tell you I sent someone to pay your landlord this morning. Better to get this out of the way right now before you find that out and come storming back in here"

"You paid my rent? But how did you know?"

"You dropped an envelope in your hast to get away yesterday. You scribbled a bunch of numbers calculating all your overdue bills."

"You read my mail!" She shrieked stomping her foot.

This time he did look up at her. Slowly raising one eyebrow he asked "did you just stomp your foot?"

"Don't mock me"

"I assure you I'm not"

"I don't know why you're doing this. Its confusing me"

"My daughter likes you. That was enough for me to help you"

"I'll be sure to thank her then"

He narrowed his eyes at her words but didn't say anything. She turned to leave and his words stopped her by the door.

"You're wrong by the way" he said

"About what?" she asked with her hand on the doorknob.

"I don't wish you to be someone else" he replied in a low husky voice.

She slowly turned to look at him. He held her gaze then looked away. She walked out and closed the door behind her now feeling even more confused.

His behavior was so out of character she suddenly felt he was somehow taken over by an alien.