Chapter 12

Johnathan sighed and pushed the papers away as he found himself once again distracted by the thought of his assistant

Johnathan sighed and pushed the papers away as he found himself once again distracted by the thought of his assistant. More times than he was ready to admit he had found himself thinking about her. In meeting, on dates, at home laying in bed willing sleep to find him. He massaged the base of his neck trying to defuse the tension he was feeling.

"Bad day?" He heard his brother ask.

"And it keeps getting worse. Just like the fact you're here I'm sure this headache is going to turn into a migraine" Johnathan replied looking up at Jason with a cool expression.

"You need to relax brother. You're going to give yourself gray hairs" said Jason plopping down into the chair across from him.

Subconsciously Johnathan raised his hand to touch his head at the mention of gray hairs. He dropped his hand when he saw Jason's eyes follow his action with a mock expression.

"Why are you even here?" He asked

"I didn't come here to see you. I came to see April" Jason announced

"What do you mean you came to see April? Why did you come here to see April?" Johnathan asked in a low toned voice that usually had men quivering in their seat.

Jason however sent him a smile.

"I asked her to go with me to the mayors ball" Jason replied

"You what!?" Johnathan said almost yelling

"Why brother you sound upset. Is there a reason I shouldn't take her to the ball. Were you perhaps planning on asking her yourself?" Asked Jason

"What? Don't be ridiculous, of course not. Why would I do that?" He replied

"Why would you not?" Said Jason

"I'm not in the mood for your riddles Jason." He replied

There was a tentative knock on the door then April walked in holding a bottle of water which she handed to Johnathan with some pills. He looked at the items then looked at her with knitted brows.

"I heard you say you're having a headache" she said

"Oh. Uh Thanks" he replied awkwardly

Jason chuckled as he got up from the chair to hand April his card.

"I'll see you this weekend" he said

Johnathan clenched the bottled of water in his hands. Causing it to crackle in protest.

He didn't have to look up at April to know she was watching him. He could feel her intent gaze on his face.

"I know what you're doing!" He called after Jason.

Jason's booming laughter sounded all the way through the halls as he headed for the elevator.

"Why would you date my brother?" He asked

"I hardly think agreeing to go out with him once should constitute to us actually dating. And beside with all due respect that's not any of your business" April replied

"It becomes my business when it is done on company time" he replied slowly raising from his seat to look up at her.

"You're ridiculous" she said then turned to walk out of the office.

"I didn't dismiss you yet!" He said stopping her in her tracks.

"What can I do for you?" She asked

"Do you really want to know?" Was his low husky response.

He watched her face heat up and her eyes dart away nervously.

"I have a business lunch today. I want you to go with me" he heard himself say.

"Lunch? Why do you need me to go?" She asked

"You were hired to be my assistant. The job duties does not only apply to the walls of this office. Be ready by eleven" he finished then sat back down.

As she closed the door behind her he took the pills she had brought him. Praying the effects would start helping him soon.

There's something about you driving me crazy April Edwards, and I don't think I like it.

                                ***

Johnathan sat listening to the man in front of him telling him about the history and his success. Then he went on to tell him how things started going bad when he handed the company over to his grandson who had gotten into some gambling problems.

He quickly glanced at April who was sitting next to him trying to look very much interested in what was going on. She reached for her a third bread roll and cut it open so she could butter it. He turned back to listen to the old man not wanting to seem uninterested.

From the corner of his eye he saw April take a bite of her roll. Her tongue darting out to lick the butter from her lips. He gulped and looked away. Each time she took a bite she ended up licking butter from her lips. Trying hard not to groan and reach for her he reached for his glass of water and took a long gulp. He was all too happy when the basket of rolls were finish.

However his mental celebration was short lived when the waiter delivered her lunch. Shrimp in lobster sause. He answered the old man's question about wanting to keep certain employees on after the takeover then turn to glanced at April again.

He watched as she her tongue slightly darted out to wrap around one of the jumbo shrimps then she licked the sauce from her lips then her fingers. When she repeated the same assault on another shrimp he could not understand why this woman eating food did more for him than watching porn in his teenage years. Not being able to take it anymore when her tongue darted out yet again he found himself snapping at her.

"For the love of God woman would you please stop doing that!"

She paused to look at him her face coloring up in confusion then embarrassment.

"Sorry" she softly replied pushing the plate away.

He wanted to kick himself when he realized he had spoken so harshly. No matter how he wished he could be gentle with her at times he always seem to end up embarrassing her.

She excused herself to the bathroom after a while leaving him alone with their client.

"Lovely young woman that one. Reminds me of my wife back before I built up the courage to ask her out" said the old man with an amused twinkle in his eyes.

"Dio aiutami" said Johnathan as he scrubbed a hand across his face.

************************************

Please remember to vote! Click on the star and vote!