Chapter 10

"Hi uncle Jason!" Hailey exclaimed when they walked into the sick bay

"Hi uncle Jason!" Hailey exclaimed when they walked into the sick bay. She got up from the bed and threw herself into his arms. Johnathan watched as he bent and whispered something to her making her giggle. However when she turned him her face had contorted as if she's in pain.

"Daddy can we go home now?" She said looking up at him with twinkling eyes.

Johnathan found himself holding back laughter as he looked at his daughter.

"Don't encourage her" he warned Jason

"Hey I just got here so I'm innocent" said Jason holding up his hands.

"Dad can April come over tonight?" Asked Hailey

"That's my girl. Way to stay in the game" said Jason giving her a high five which earned him a glare from Johnathan.

"Sweetie, April might need time to herself sometimes. We can't just expect her to drop everything and come over every time we call" Johnathan said to Hailey

Both Hailey and Jason stood looking at him as if he had just told them he's quitting the family business to go join the rodeo.

"Guys come on. I don't expect her to run to me every time I call." He said

"If you say so dad" Hailey replied climbing into the back of the car.

"I'm telling you brother. This kid has you all figured out" said Jason.

"And besides dad I already text her and asked her to come over. I told her I need help with homework a d she said she would come over" said Hailey

"Look sweetie. I know you like April, I have to admit she's pretty great; but honey you can't force two people to be together. I know what you guys are trying to do but its not going to work. Everyone seems to be forgetting April has her own life and I think she has a boyfriend" Johnathan replied

"No she doesn't. She dumped him. I asked her and she told me" said Hailey

"Fine, April can come over but I won't be there." Said Johnathan changing gears as he switched lanes to avoid a slow driver ahead of them.

"Where are you going?" Asked Hailey

"I have a date" Johnathan replied

"Why am I not surprised" said Hailey. She reached into her bag for her earphones and put them on to ignore everyone for the rest of the ride home.

Johnathan shot a quick glare at Jason then turned back to the road.

"What's that look for?" Asked Jason

"What do you think? The three of you are adults! You and mom and April shouldn't be encouraging her. When this relationship doesn't happen she's going to blame me not you guys"

"Firstly April doesn't know we're trying to set you guys up. Secondly mom isn't encouraging her she actually said the same thing you just said and lastly I only jumped on board all this the minute I saw the way you two look at each other"

"This isn't up for debate. I'll date who I want to date and April doesn't fall on the list of women that falls under my type!"

"Cold" Jason murmured.

Soon as they got home Hailey wasted no time rushing into the house and up to her room. Jason turned to look at Johnathan when the sound of her slamming her door sounded through the house.

"Don't start with me" Johnathan said walking away from Jason.

"I was only going to say I'll talk to her" Jason replied

"I think you've done enough!" Said Johnathan walking into his office

"Look, your child came crying to me and mom because she was getting bullied at school! She felt abandoned like you prefer your lady friends over her. Mom or I couldn't get her to believe otherwise because she thought we were only being nice to you because you're family. That assistant of yours..."

"Temporary assistant..."

"Whatever! She somehow managed to get your child back on track and convinced her you're the one that needed help. That's why Hailey has been trying to set you up with April because she's convinced April is the perfect woman for you. I only came here to make sure my niece is alright. You're a grown man if you want to throw your life away on these meaningless relationships that's up to you!"

"You met April no more than five or seven minutes and already you're convinced she some kind of guardian angel sent from God. What makes you so sure she's the woman for me? What makes you so sure she can make me happy? Come on Jason just look at the woman. Does she look like the kind of woman I would ever date much less take to bed? If you look at the woman too long she colors up you'd think she's a virgin. Virgins are not my type! April Edwards is not my type!"

They both turned at the sound at a strangled gasp coming from the doorway. There stood April face turned red and eyes glistening with unshed tears. Mouth opening and closing ever so often trying to speak she resembled a fish gasping for air.

"The...the door...it was um...it was open...I heard raised voices...I ...I'm sorry I have to go" she finally stammered out. She turned and ran out of the door with both brothers calling after her. In her haste to get away she stumbled and spilled the contents on her bag. She stooped down and started gathering everything and tossing them back in her back. Just as they moved to help her collect her things that had fallen she got up and ran out the front door.

"What's the matter with you!?" Jason exclaimed turning to Johnathan

He ignored his brother and bent to pick up an envelope that obviously had fallen from April. He glanced at the post mark then stuffed it in his jacket and walked away without saying a word to his brother. No longer in the mood to go out for the night he pulled his phone from his pocket and canceled his reservation and text his date.

He raked his fingers through his hair in frustration as he paced around his study.

This isn't my problem. She's just a woman I work with. So what if she heard what I said.

The thoughts swirled around as he continued to pace around the room. He pulled the envelope from his jacket as if just remembering its there then opened it and started reading. Realizing the extent of the content he pulled out his phone again and started making phone calls.