Chapter 1

"Well I already told him I know someone perfect to fill my position while I'm away for the three months" said Ianto

"And he actually agreed?" Asked April

"Well not in so many words but he did tell me I need to find someone to fill the position before I leave. So sign the application just for formalities and I'll hand it to him and let him know you'll be there Monday morning"

"As far as I've heard the man is a grade one jerk, but at this point I can't refuse a job. I'm behind on bills and rent. Ramen noodles as become the main dish...correction the only dish in my apartment"

"Its settled then you'll take the job. Thank you thank thank you!" Ianto squealed and threw her hands around April. A few persons sitting at nearby tables turned to frown at their sudden unwelcome outburst.

"Will you quiet down, you're going to get us kicked out" April replied giving her a quick hug then moving her chair back to face her friend

"Oh don't worry about them. The midday crowd that comes through here needs to lighten up" Ianto replied earning them more glares from a group sitting nearby.

"What will I wear to work though? I have nothing suitable to wear in such an upscale office. I'll look like plain Jane next to the workers there" April replied

"News flash, you've always been a plain Jane its never bothered you before. Just make sure you're not wearing jeans and your clothes are clean. You always smell great in your signature lavender fragrance to like I said be yourself" said Ianto

"What if he doesn't like me" April replied

"The man doesn't like anyone so don't worry about it. You should be more worried if he actually likes you"

April smiled and shook her head. This would be her first job in almost seven months. As much as she would prefer to work in her field of study this job would be best because of the pay. Last thing she needed is another warning notice about student loans. She shivered at the thought.

"Look the man spends most of his time out of the office in meetings or out at lunch with whatever latest supermodel or actress that throws herself at him. When he is in the office he barely even looks at anyone he barks a couple of orders out then ignores you, you'll be fine" Ianto tried to reassure her.

"Well when you put it like that I really can't refuse"

Suddenly April's phone notified her that she has a new text message. She check it and a huge smile spread across her face. That smile quickly fell from her face when her boyfriend was yet again standing her up for dinner.

"Gerald?" Asked Ianto

"Yeah" April replied

"By the look in your face I'm guessing it's not good news"

"He's just letting me know he can't make it to dinner tonight"

"April he's always standing you up! The only time he comes around is when he needs money to borrow. Why are you still putting up with that jerk? He's what twenty one. You're twenty seven?"

"Its not like that OK. He has basketball practice and I only help him with money because he has no one else to help him out. And age is just a number"

"Maybe no one is helping him out because everyone knows he's just out to use them!"

"You don't think I'm enough for him?"

"Of course I do. I think you're too good for him. You're letting him kill your self esteem and self confidence. You need to let him go"

"I know you don't like him"

"Why would I? The guy's a overgrown baby. You're going places with your life its time you find someone better suited"

"Like who?"

"I don't know but you'll know when you meet him because he will make you forget about Gerald so fast you'll be saying Gerald who?"

April laughed and shook her head and stabbed the meatball on her plate brining it to her lips to take a bite. She knew her best friend was right about needing to let Gerald go, but a part of her always felt guilty because he is always telling her she us all he has. You would think he would treat her better if that was true but every since she's started dating him she has always felt neglected.

"Hey" said Ianto reaching across the table to gently squeeze her hand.

"Things will work out for you just wait and see. I bet this job will turn things around for you"

"I hope so" April replied turning her hand over to return her friends comforting squeeze.

"Come on I need to run to the swimsuit store around the corner. I need something sexy that will make my husband want to change his mind about leaving or hotel room to go for a swim"

April shook her head at her friend but she was really glad to see her happy. Ianto too had gone through her fair share of bad relationships before she met Greg. When she met Greg they wasted no time in getting engaged and not even the engagement was a long one. Now nine months after meeting they were married and getting ready to go on their honeymoon.

April hurried to keep up with her friend's long strides as they hurried to the store.

"Why didn't you just get it after work?" April asked beginning to feel out of breath.

"Because by the time I get out of work the store will be closed. I want to get as much work done as possible before I leave this weekend. Unless you don't mind having a desk full of files on your first day on Monday" said Ianto stopping suddenly to turn and look at her.

April quickly side stepped her friend so as not to bump into her thanks to her sudden stop.

"No thanks" she finally replied

"Well stop complaining and let's go" Ianto replied grabbing her hand and pulling her along.

It has always been like this since they met in college. Ianto was always on the move rushing places. Rushing to class, rushing to get food and always to get last minute deals on clothes.

April loved her friend though especially since she has always been there for her. She met her in college, her first impression of Ianto was oh she's beautiful she would never want to be friends with me. Everyone thought Ianto was stuck up and chose who she wanted to be friends with. April had stopped to think about that and realized, don't we all choose who we want as friends? She quickly became friends with Ianto learning they had a lot in common. Not a passing day would go by that they wouldn't hang out. They had each others backs and quickly became best friends and here they were seven years after they had graduated with their friendship still going strong.

"What has you smiling so hard?" Asked Ianto pulling her out of her thoughts

"Nothing just remembered something" April replied

Ianto gave her a curious look then turned back to the swimsuits she had in her hand trying to figure out which ones she wanted.

************************************

Please remember to vote! Click on the ★ to vote and comments are welcomed.