Chapter 6

April dragged herself out of bed and into the office with her eyes feeling heavy grainy like sand

April dragged herself out of bed and into the office with her eyes feeling heavy grainy like sand. After she got home last night no matter how tired she was she just had trouble falling asleep. She tossed and turn with the image of her boss's daughter's tear stained face in her head followed by the strange expression he gave her before she left.

She was in her office chair for no more than three minutes before he called her into his office.

"Ms. Edwards my office now!" His voice came blaring through the intercom.

"Yes sir?" She said as she rushed into his office.

"I need you to make sure the boardroom is prepped for the meeting that will be held at eleven. Make nine copies of this file and put each copy in separate folders. Put one folder by each chair along with a pen." He said handing her the folder.

"Yes sir I'm on it" she replied

She first made copies of the file and collected pens and folders from the supply closet. On her way to the boardroom she ran into Michal.

"Hey there! Looks like the boss has you working hard" he said

"Yea I'm preparing the boardroom for the meeting" she replied

His smile was so contagious she couldn't help but to return it. Jes the only one around the office and in the building that has ever given her the time of day.

"Yea that's a big meeting. If they decide to sign we'll expand our name all the way to Egypt" he said

"That sounds awesome. I hope it goes how you guys want it to" April replied

"I'm sure it will. Johnathan is pretty ruthless when it come on to business. I don't think there's a deal he's ever lost" said Michal

"Hmm" April replied not wanting to say what actually to her mind.

"You're afraid of him!" Michal exclaimed bursting into sudden laugh.

"Uh, not exactly" she replied chuckling at his amusement.

"What do you mean not exactly?" He asked

"Don't you have work to do Michal? As I'm sure you know Ms. Edwards does." Said Johnathan behind them.

Without looking at either of them April rush off to find the boardroom. She made sure the table is spotless and put the folders where he had asked her to then prepared a fresh pot of coffee. A sudden thought came to her to run to the bakery to get fresh pastries next door to their building. She rushed to her desk and grabbed her purse then ran to the elevator. She later came back with a box's filled with donuts and bagels and set them on a tray next to the coffee.

Johnathan walked into the room and she watched as he looked around. His eyes glanced at her refreshment display but he didn't say anything. He turn to her with a nod of approval then took his seat.

So much for impressing him with fresh pastries. She thought before going to take her seat in the corner.

She watched as everyone started coming in one at a time. All stopping to get a pastry and a cup of coffee then taking their seat.

"Great going with the pastries April. You're a lifesaver" said Michal walking pass her.

At least someone noticed and could say thank you. She looked over at Johnathan and found him staring at her. He didn't even pretend to be doing otherwise when she caught him staring. She squirmed in her seat under his intent gaze.

"Would you like a cup of coffee or a pastry?" She asked him.

He continues to stare at her then shook his head refusing her offer. He called the meeting to order once everyone was settled and him along with Michal carried out the presentation. She made all the necessary notes and found herself watching him and his every movement. For such a strong looking well built man he almost moved with the grace of a dancer, almost, but it was pretty close. She found herself drawn to his every word. If this presentation was for her she would certainly be signing. She believed every word he spoke.

Clearly she wasn't the only one convinced because as soon as the presentation was over the papers were signed and arrangements were already being made for the next step of the take over.

After everyone started leaving each one congratulating Johnathan on a job well done she got up from her chair and walked around the room collecting the napkins that were left laying on the tables or chairs.

"You were awesome. I've never seen such an amazing presentation" she found herself saying to him.

He looked up from the folder he was arranging with the documents from the meeting. He looked away and then she heard him say.

"That would sound like a compliment or be taken as one, except I'm sure this is the first time you have ever witnessed a boardroom meeting first hand so naturally you are in awe" he said then he looked up at her with disdain.

Feeling utterly rebuked she looked away in embarrassment. She continued to gather the trash and put the chairs back into place.

Note to self. Speak only when spoken to or you will be thoroughly embarrassed by the egotistical, self centered stuck up jerk.

She was about to reach for the leftover pastries so she could place them back in the box and save them for lunch or dinner when he walked over and took a donut and took a bite on his way out of the room.

April stood there staring after him not sure whether she wanted to laugh or cry. She walked back to her desk just in time to see a leggy blond stroll by her into Jonathan's office. She watched as the woman placed a kiss on his cheek with her ruby red painted lips.

Does this man only know women that looks like they belong on the cover of a fashion magazine?

She sat at her chair and decided to send Ianto a quick email since it seems her boss was about to leave which usually meant having the time free only with a few calls coming in now and then.

She watched them walk out of his office with their arms linked looking like a match made in heaven.

"I can't understand why women looking like that insist on eating all that junk" she heard the woman say.

April glanced at the donut she had taken out of the box then dropped it back and closed the lid. Suddenly feeling like the ugly duckling.