Chapter 7

Johnathan sat across from his lunch date wanting to be anywhere but there

Johnathan sat across from his lunch date wanting to be anywhere but there. She was good company, very beautiful, the type of woman he usually goes for but suddenly he realized he was bored out of his mind. He found her  to be boring. Her and every other woman he's tried to date lately has not been able to make it past the first date.

Pull it together Johnathan. You're really giving those tabloids something to talk about. Johnathan Giordana billionaire Casanova seen on a date with a different woman everyday this week.

"You don't like the food?" She asked breaking through his thoughts.

"No the food is fine. I guess I'm just a bit distracted by work." He fibbed

Liar liar. His thoughts screamed at him.

"So about the mayors ball next month. Will you be attending?" She asked. Clearly already fishing for a second date.

"I got my invitation in the mail I haven't RSVP yet. I was thinking about taking my daughter" he replied

"Your daughter? Isn't she away in boarding school?" She asked

"No. Why would you think she's in boarding school?" He replied

"Oh no reason." She said avoiding eye contact.

"Do you not like children? I mean my daughter is thirteen years old not a toddler running around grabbing you and breaking things" he replied defensively

"Oh I know that. I must admit I'm not the motherly type. I'm not looking to spoil this figure of mine. I've never given much thought to mothering at all" she said

"Oh I see. I'm afraid I'll have to cut this lunch date short" he replied

"What? Why? Was it something I said?" She asked

"No. Its not you its me" he replied

"Really? You're going to go with that cliché line?" She asked

"No really, its me. I haven't been myself lately. Save me a dance at the mayor's ball?" He slipped some money for the bill into the checkpad the waitress had brought and walked out of the restaurant.

The sunlight hit his face causing him to squint against the bright glare. He reached into his jacket pocket to pull out his sunglasses and groaned when he didn't find them.

His cellphone started ringing and he was surprised and alert to see that it was his daughter's school calling.

"Hello? Yes this is he. OK I'll be right there"

He handed the valet the ticket for his car and waited impatiently for him to come back with his car. He wasted no time pulling into traffic and speeding off to the emergency meeting at his daughter's school.

Oh Hailey what have you done this time.

He maneuvered his way through the afternoon traffic trying to keep focus on the road, but he couldn't help thinking its times like this that he wish he had a woman in his life that could help with his teenage daughter. Hailey was always a sweet natured child growing up but lately she seems to be in the middle of a full teenage rebellion. He has no idea how to handle these things so he found himself giving her a lot of space but was now beginning to wonder if that was making things worse.

When he got to the school he walked through the halls to get to the principal's office passing by cliques of giggling girls. He found his daughter sitting on a chair outside the office and she didn't bother to look at him when he walked in. With a sigh he knocked and entered the principal's office. She informed him that Hailey was in a fight in which she punched another student in the mouth which resulted in her being suspended for three days.

"Let's go honey" he said to her.

"Am I grounded on top of my suspension too?" She asked

"What's going on with you mio angelo?" He asked her as they walked to the car.

"I guess your angel isn't such and angel anymore dad" she replied sarcastically.

"Hailey I should be at work right now but instead I'm being called to your principal's office because you punched someone in the face!" He exclaimed drawing the attention of students close by.

He watched as his daughter's face went red from embarrassment.

"Oh gee dad its not like your assistant doesn't make house calls so why not invite her over again!"

She shot him a glare then ran off to the car. She climbed in and slammed the door shut behind her.

He followed her to the car and got his phone from his glove compartment and dialled his office.

"Hello Johnathan Giordano's office, April speaking how may I help you"

"April get all the files I left on top of my desk and meek me downstairs in seven minutes"

"Figures" Hailey grumbled from the backseat.

"Until you're ready to talk to me I'm going yo use the time to get some work done" he replied

When he pulled up outside the office building April was standing looking around with a confused expression. He put the drivers window down so he could talk to her.

"Are you just going to stand there? Get in I don't have all day!" He snapped at her.

It was enough to get her moving though. She went to the back door but he opened the passenger door beside him instead.

"Good to know I'm not the only one getting on his nerves" said Hailey from the back seat.

He glanced at April just as she turned with a surprised expression which turned into a smile when she saw his daughter.

"Hi there!" She said to Hailey

"Hi" Hailey replied then reached for her phone and started tapping away.

He could feel her staring at him with those hazel eyes. He noticed she does that a lot. He always feels like she's not just looking at the surface. Her expressions always seems like she's looking into your soul. He hated it.

"You're staring Ms. Edwards" he said

"I'm sorry I was just wondering where we're going. You told me to take the files downstairs. Even though I grabbed my purse I didn't know we were, I mean I didn't know you meant for me to go with you." She replied

"We're working from home again. Something has come up." He said

"That something is me. The inconvenience" said Hailey

"I never told you your an in convenience mio angelo" he said

"Well you sure treat me like one" she replied

He sighed and chose not to respond. The rest of the car ride was spent in  awkward silence.

************************************

Please remember to vote! Click on the star and vote!