Containment Part 13

North POV

We are waiting for word that the new runners from Emperton are on their way. We are paying a high price for this crew, but the Academy numbers are dwindling and we are using outside contractors that are looking for a better life.

I look around the table before I start the briefing. This is the first official mission that Jessica will be joining us on. Axel's group was able to find Uncle, Erica and Jessica and transport them to Ashville a few months after we arrived.

The last five years have taken its toll on the group, but the last two weeks is pushing us all to the breaking point. Nathan, Kota, Victor, Luke and Jessica are all looking to me to guide them through the details of the search and rescue mission. Two weeks ago Owen, Sean, Gabriel and Silas were captured by some rebel forces and are being held prisoner. We negotiated a trade but I have put together a tactical plan that will weaken their numbers before we try to make the trade.

It involves a female fighter/assassin that we found in the Emperton camp.

"We have secured the medical supplies, guns and ammunition that the rebel forces are demanding as ransom. The truck is currently in route. The crew that we hired does not currently have all of the details on the mission, but we are confident that after they meet with us that they will continue with the transfer. The plan is to send her in first as a distraction. From what I have read about her, she might be able to take our half of their crew before we even set foot in the camp," I say to everyone.

Kota looks at me and says, "What do we know about the runners?"

I respond, "They are a husband and wife team that has been in the Emperton camp for several years. She made it known to some of the guards that they were looking for work that would allow them to leave that facility and relocate. According to the guards, she is the actual muscle in the relationship, a trained killer that takes no prisoners. It is a tough environment and she adapted to survive."

Luke looks at me and says, "Emperton, did they know ..."

I cut Luke off saying, "Stop. We cannot let any thoughts distract us from bringing everyone home. Everyone is to keep their head on this mission. If you have questions, you wait until after they are back."

Nathan says, "When are we making contact?"

"If everything is on schedule they should be at the cabin tonight. Marc and Raven will make initial contact. After they agree to the additional terms, we will meet with them and leave for the camp. Double check your packs and make sure that you have everything that you need. If all goes well, we will have everyone home for breakfast." I say to the group.

I know what Luke was about to say and I just could not let him say her name. There is not a day that goes by that we have not thought of Sang. I cannot close my eyes at night without seeing the look on her face as she was screaming at us to let her go with us. Owen and Sean made the decision to send her to the civilian camp to protect her. We thought that after we got to Ashville that we could arrange for her transfer, but we were immediately sent out across the country trying to locate other Academy teams that were missing. Days turned to weeks, weeks turned to months and months turned to years. When we were finally in a place to bring her home, we were notified that she was no longer at the Emperton camp. No one could tell us what happened to her.

To this day we don't know whether she left the camp or whether she died there.

Later

Sang POV

The trip to meet our contacts was actually uneventful and we only encountered two groups of feeders. The rifles and the ammo worked really well, and we were able to eliminate the threats quickly. While the highways were is poor repair, they were fairly clear of abandoned vehicles. I guess the military was in charge of doing this. We only encountered three checkpoints, and our papers were either real or good forgeries because our cargo was not inspected.