Containment Part 6

~Sang~

The closer we got to the airport, the more things became apparent. Army style trucks lined the edges and guards stood sentry at the gate.

When a car came close to it, they would jump from their posts to count who was in it. It seemed everyone was passing the first inspection, being waved in one by one. The second gate I could see seemed similar, but I couldn't make out everything.

My fingers traced the hilt of the knife, seeking reassurance in it. All of this made me want to bolt and run. A thought occurred to me.

"Will they let us in if we have these weapons?"

I didn't want to let go of mine.

"Look over there, Aggele," Silas said, pointing, "See them?"

My eyes darted around until I got hold of what he was gesturing to. A man and woman were stood just beyond the second gate, where the car park veered around the building and to the back. They looked like slightly more defined stick men to me.

I nodded.

"They're Academy officials. The soldiers should grant us access to that second gate, but if they don't those two should vouch for us."

Should vouch for us. Nerves coiled in the pit of my stomach. I wasn't an Academy member. What would they say about me?

A strong arm wrapped around my shoulders and I breathed in Kota's familiar scent. But not even that was enough to calm me down.

"It's okay, Sang. It's all okay."

I looked up at him.

"Now's not the time for lies, don't you think? I've seen two men dead. I know everything is not 'okay'."

He withdrew his arm hesitantly and I sighed.

"Sorry. Sorry, I just... It's a lot to take in. I'm stressed. Can we just, y'know, hurry it up? I want to get out of here."

It was true. Every rustle and crack made me jump. Mr. Blackbourne tilted his head and surveyed me. I wished they wouldn't do that. They knew when I was lying, and I wasn't right now.

"Okay, Miss Sorenson. Double speed."

We set off in a pace that was just below a jog.

The soldier stood intimidatingly in front of the gate, giving us only the smallest of glances as we passed.

"I assume you're here for the Refuge?" he asked.

I stayed silent. Refuge? The way he said it made it sound like a place, not a thing.

"Yes. Can you direct us where we're supposed to go?" Mr. Blackbourne answered politely.

"Straight through, at the second gate you'll be tested for contamination."

He slid the gate back for us and we walked through quickly. I tried not to wince at the almost condemning sound of it clicking shut again.

A big warm hand found mine and I looked up at Silas. He wasn't asking me to talk. He was just offering to be here with me.

I tightened my hand and he squeezed back.

Dr. Green led the way. Families meandered around the space, seeming to want to avoid the line of those waiting to be checked for contamination.

Children were crying, parents making weak attempts to calm them. The whole atmosphere was tense.

"Come on, baby," North said softly. I nodded and we continued.