Drabble Eighty - What Do We Do?

#80

~Sean~

I dragged a hand across my jaw, sighing. The tension leaked out of my posture and I closed my eyes. Either that or start fucking crying. This whole situation was impossible.

"Owen," I said quietly, "what do we do?"

He covered his face with his hands, hiding from the world. I didn't blame him.

"I don't know. I don't know Sean."

Holy shit. His voice was on the verge of crying. As if knowing my thoughts he cleared his throat and sat straighter. I was glad we'd dropped Kota off at his house before coming to my condo. We needed to be strong and if he saw us like this it'd be the fucking icing on the fucking cake; the leaders, the people he relied on, having a break down. Maybe we could send out invitations. Come to the pity party today and watch the people that have to be resilient be nearly in tears!

"We do what he said," Owen decided, "we leave."

I stared at him, incredulous. Was he fucking kidding? I couldn't leave my Pookie behind. Not after all this. And shit, we were just on the verge of telling her our feelings.

"Are you shitting me, Owen? You want to leave?"

He turned sharply to me, that 'piss me off at your own peril' look in his eyes.

"No I'm not 'shitting' you, Sean. We either leave or Miss Sorenson...Sang gets hurt. Or worse."

"Do you think he, Matthews, could do that? Stage an 'accident'?"

"He's the head of the Academy, Sean, he can do whatever the fuck he wants."

Holy hell, Owen was cursing. He only did that when he was seriously frustrated.

"So..."

"So we leave. Gather our stuff up, call the others, get them and their families out of here."

I thought it over. It was worth leaving her behind if she didn't get hurt.

"We'll have to stay in Charleston," I pointed out, "we have missions in progress."

Owen nodded thoughtfully.

"Yeah, we will have to stay in Charleston for a little while. We need quick accommodation, too, so it'll be the most practical. At least for a small period of time."

He stood purposefully and I guessed he was going to make plans over. I put my hand on his arm, stopping him.

"We could leave, take her with us. Run." I said it sincerely. I'd do it; I'd run. If I got to stay with Pookie.

Owen shook his head bitterly.

"We run and they chase us, Sean. And you know we would only end up getting caught."