24: Mistakes

Cody's P.O.V

"Good morning," I yawned, jumping off the last step of the staircase.

Only a few were up. The younger ones.
Bella, Max, Giovanni. They were all sitting cross legged on the floor playing cards.
Kimmy was up too, surprisingly. She sat in the corner painting her nails with a huge smile on her face.

"Where the heck did you get nail polish?" I chuckled.

"I grabbed a bunch from a drug store when the apocalypse started." Giovanni answered.

"Smartest decision ever!" Kimmy exclaimed "girl's gotta look cute in desperate measures."

"Yaas Kimmy, slay!",

I stared at the both of them and Max and I bursted out laughing.

"We got any breakfast around here?" I queried.

Giovanni nodded and pointed to the kitchen and I graciously helped myself.
I checked the cabinets first, then the fridge that didn't work and lastly, I checked the pantry. Not a drop of food.

"It's in the oven!" Giovanni shouted "so the bugs and stuff won't get to it."

Ah. Good thinking.

I quickly opened the oven, my eyes meeting several packs of food.
There was dry cereal, juice pouches, canned cheese, etc.

Suddenly, there were loud footsteps behind me and Giovanni appeared right in front of me.. her blue curls bounced below her ears.

"Yes?" I smiled.

"Don't touch my juice."
.. and without further ado, she zoomed back into the living room like the weirdo she is. Ha.

I rumaged around a bit until I found a pack of poptarts.. the last one. Happily, I took it and sat on the counter, opened it and grabbed the first one out.

It was fresh. Cinnamon flavored, my favorite kind.
Kai's too. She told me one night when we would stay awake and stare at the stars back at the Haven.

After I ate the pop tart, I stared at the second one for a while. Debating if I should eat it or not. Kai would love it but I'm just so hungry.

Before I could decide, Kimmy happily skipped in, blowing her nails dry.

She approached me and reached out to the pop tart "you gonna eat that?"

"Uh, actually I'm not."

"Can I have it?" She asked.

"I'm sorry, I'm kinda saving it for Kai."

"Aww," she smiled "you're such a good boyfriend."

"I'm not her boyfriend, we're just good friends."

"Sureee." She scoffed, whilst blowing her nails.

"That's a nice nail color." I lied, trying to change the subject. I hated purple but I wanted something to talk about other than awkward silence.

"Thanks." She nodded "you sure Kai's gonna eat that?"

"She will."

I tried to shoo her off but she insisted on staying.

She groaned and scooted a little closer.
"You know," she smiled "I've never really stared at your face before. You have really complex features."

She ran her fingers through my hair and pulled it behind my ear, graciously revealing the long scar on my jaw my father left when he got so drunk he hit me with a beer bottle.

"What happened?" She murmured.

"It was from my father." I untucked my hair from behind my ears and it dragged over my face once more.
Her sweet smile faded to a worried grin.

"What about this one?" She asked, while rubbing her thumb over my brow.
That one was from talking back. I still remember the cigarette being pressed above my brow.

"From my father too."

"Wow," she sighed "they make you look badass."

"Thank you." I chuckled "you are very lovely yourself."

Her eyes widened and she stared at me like I had just called her fat or something.

"Lovely?  Me? Oh stop."

"Truly." I smiled.

She glanced at me and rolled her eyes playfully.

"And you're really cute." She chuckled "I don't mean to sound like a cougar or anything."

I laughed. Kimmy is so dramatic. She's just two years older.

"Thanks." I nodded.

She looked up at me once more, leaned in closer and winked.

Her face was inches from mine.
"You gonna kiss me?" She whispered.

I DON'T KNOW, AM I?
I'VE NEVER BEEN PUT IN A SITUATION LIKE THIS, HOW DO I REACT?!

And before I could respond, her fingers curled my t shirt, pulled me closer and her soft pink lips met mine.

We held our lips together for a solid 6 seconds. Not like I counted or anything though.
When I opened my eyes, she was staring at my chest, smiling and I stood there like a hot and heated mess.

My eyes trailed the room, trying to take in everything that happened, until suddenly.. they met Kai's.
She stood there with wide eyes and a broken smile.

"Cody?"