13: Danger

Ryan's P.O.V

It's been over an hour since Reese and the others  embarked on their mission and my senses are telling me something's up.

I'm off the walls.. Beyond worried...a bit too jumpy.

"Maybe we should go get them." Jose suggested, eyeing me up and down. He could see that I was shaking and lost in a haze. 

As much as I would love to go out there and save them if there perhaps was anything wrong, I just can't. We don't have the bullets or the time, it's almost dark out and there are still a ton of wanderers zooming freely out there.

"There's too many of them." Charlie sighed "I'm getting worried."

"Aren't we all?" Kimmy proclaimed.

She sat at the table of the RV with Cody and Kai, silently playing chess to take her mind off of things.
Man, I knew this was a bad idea the moment that boy uttered it.

"Maybe we s--"  knock knock knock.

Charlie's sentence was cut short by three knocks at the RV door, and I was so excited that it was Reese and the others, I nearly broke my neck trying to get up.

I quickly hopped out the drivers seat and pushed the RV doors open, to reveal a short tan boy with brown hair and blue eyes. Definitely not anyone I was looking forward to..

"Who are you?" I asked, slowly placing my fingers around my knife.

"Cameron. Uh, nobody important." he started, eyeing around the RV.

"I just wanted to tell you, that... My leader captured your friends, I think they're your friends. I mean you're the only people for miles so I'm guessing they're your friends."

Everyone on the RV gasped and I stepped a bit closer, my heart beating a little faster.

"What'd they look like?"

"Um, the first boy was tall and skinny with shaggy hair, the 2nd one was Asian, with a really long ponyta--"

"Where are they?" I bellowed.

"I told you, my leader got them, I'm not supposed to be out here but I snuck away from the others so I could come here and tell you this."

"Who the hell would kidnap someone in the apocalypse?" Charlie shouted

Hearing that they were captured hit me in the chest like a bullet.
They're gone.
Just repeating the word gone in my head makes me sick to my stomach.

Why would anyone want to take them? Why would they take her from me?

I began to clench my fist, ready to punch out the window but then I felt two small hands grasp around my big arms to hold me back.

I looked back to see Kai, staring back up at me worriedly. I've never seen her so worried yet so calm.

She glared at me, and then back at the boy at the door.

"How do we know you're not lying? Why would your leader take them?" she questioned

"I'm a good samaritan, you see. And oh, plenty of reasons... Trafficking, cannibalism, or even just for the fun of it." he retorted.

"I'm gonna puke." Kimmy gagged, holding her mouth and running to the bathroom.

"For the fun of it? What kind of sick shit is that?" I jarred, a bit more angrier now.

I heard Kimmy slam the door to the bathroom and man, that only rallied me even more.

"The people I work for are sick people." He sighed