3: Scared

Reese's P.O.V

As I dusted around the TV, I decided to turn on the news for once. It's quite dull around here, with Kai being in detention and all. I got the text from her that she had detention so I needed to pick her up but she never told me why.

I can't even begin to guess why my sister has detention. She's not a troublemaker. She barely has friends for all that I know. But, she'll be home soon enough to tell me about her day, and I'll listen for hours because she's my little sister and I love her.

"He was declared dead in the hospital Sunday night at 9:21 p.m. In a world where anything is possible,  we don't expect the supernatural. The dead man rose 20 minutes later, where he went into another patient's room who has not been named, and groggily sunk his teeth into her. Hospital staff tried to get the situation under control but could not. A nurse from that night details the man foaming at the mouth with milky white eyes that were ferocious.  Officers on the scene fired 3 shots to his legs to bring him down but the man did not budge.  Instead, he charged at them and the officers had no option but to fire more shots." the news anchor spoke with fear yet excitement. News anchors to me are like story tellers.
"The team did what they could to stop the man. The hospital is now on lockdown. Further details in the story will be on our website when they are revealed."

Wait, is she serious?.. someone rising from the dead —- trying to bite people?? Surviving gun shots? A foaming mouth?

Those things only happen in zombie apocalypse books. WHAT is going on?

"Stay safe and stay tuned, Columbia. I'm Ashley Smith with WTOC 16, Back to you John."

Stay safe and stay tuned.
Stay safe.

I sat on the couch and stared at the TV, anxiously biting my nails, waiting for the commercials to end. When suddenly, there were 3 bangs at the door. Bangs, not knock.

I ran over, fearing the worst, and looked out the peep hole.

Oh thank god It's Kai.. And-- a few others?

I opened the door and she burst in, pulling all her friends inside and frantically locked the door.

"Reese, something bad is happening out there," Kai panted

Her friends stared around nervously like they were scared--beyond scared. Like they had seen the Devil.

"What, what is it?" I asked, pulling her into a hug.

Kai hugged me tight and I could hear her crying into my chest.

"People- - crazy people. They're bloody, and scary looking, and they're out there eating other people!" The Asian girl in the cheerleader outfit jarred.

I gasped at her statement. That's what I just watched on the news! She can't be lying.

"No-- that's impossible!" I argued.
I didn't want to believe it. I don't want to think about it.

"Yeah, she's right. There's people out there with rotting skin and foaming mouths. It looks like something out of a movie out there. Traffic is backed for miles. Everyone's trying to get out of town. Your house is the closest to the school and we had to her somewhere. " The red-headed, rather handsome boy explained.

He looked familiar, really familiar. I know him I just don't remember his name. He was a junior last year when I was a senior and he'd always wave to me whenever he saw me in the halls.

The way he described the horrifying scenes made the other kids cringe with wincing faces.

"Look, I don't know what's going on but I have to go home, to save my little brother." The red-head spoke again, "I'm sorry about dropping you all off here but I have to go." He reaches for the door knob and the boy with long blond hair smacked his hand away. The blond haired boy stared at him like he was crazy.

"Ryan you cannot go out there. It's not safe."

Ryan! That's his name.
I remember him now.

Ryan pushed the blond haired guy back and glanced at all of us, "He's home all by himself and he's just eleven for Christ's sake. What's he going to do if one of those crazy people get in the house? If I can't get to my parents I have to get to him."

"Then I'm coming with you." the blond boy assured.

"No! You can't go and Ryan you can't either." Kai said, through tears.

Ryan shook his head and opened the door, before he walked out I pulled his arm back and pulled him back inside.

"No. Blond boy you stay, we'll go. Y'all try to get in contact with your parents to get them from here." I commanded. I'm used to being in control, being softball and basketball captain for 2 years, so calming everyone down was easy.

"No!" Kai yelled

"Look everyone just needs to calm down. You all stay here and call your families. If Ryan— Ryan right?" I questioned, looking at the red head for approval, he shook his head yes and I continued "if Ryan needs to get home I'm going to help him. If people are really out there eating each other then it's just us going No one else. you're all children. Please stay put."

"I'm not staying I'm going. I live in his neighborhood. I need to get there too." The blond boy rebelled.

"Fine." I sighed "me, you and Ryan and that's it."

Everyone looked at me with tired eyes and worried faces. Like they'd seen a lifetime of pain in a 10 minute drive.

I kissed Kai's head and caressed her cheek.

"Please don't go, Reese." She whispered.

It hurts leaving her here but I have to help Ryan get to his parents and his brother.
That's just who I am.. a helper.

"Now's not the time to be scared. I'll be back, baby girl." I smiled.
And without any further ado, I opened the door and crept out the house with Ryan and then blond boy close behind.

____________________________________

KAI'S P.O.V

As Reese, Ryan and Cody pulled off in his Black Ford raptor, I could feel my muscles tightening and the tears about to run again.

"Just act like Reese. Be brave. Just be like your sister," I whispered to myself to keep from sobbing.

Kimmy, Bella and Jose stood in the corner, still shaken up by the events we saw on the streets on the way to my house.
The city  was  already closing roads but good thing I knew a back route to my House.

now's not the time to be scared.

"Any more of y'all leaving?" I frowned.

"There's no point. How are our families going to get to us? I live with my Grannie and and she's been in the hospital for a while and since the thing that happened two nights a-" Bella spoke but her voice cracked mid sentence and a tear rolled down her cheek, "I haven't been able to contact her."

Kimmy bent down and hugged her, whispering that It'd be alright, as Jose just stared blankly at the wall.

"Jose," I spoke

He looked up at me and nodded, "yes?"

"Look around and find as many useful things that can fit into a suitcase. And gather all the food you can." I commanded

"Why? What are we doing?" He asked, befuddled as ever.

"We're making a survival kit just incase we have to stay here."

It took him a second to process, but eventually he nodded and ran into the kitchen, opening and closing cabinets quickly as possible.

Kimmie still held on to Bella as she cried and I wanted to comfort her too but there's just no time for that.

I ran into the back room and pulled my old suitcase from the closet, throwing clothes, shoes, deodorant and a few other miscellaneous things in there.
I don't know what I'm doing but if I've never asked for anything, God, Please let us survive.