19. Everything Has Changed

{Sarah}

The holidays roll around pretty quickly after that. Mom and Dad seem to have made up, as much making up as a couple can do after a separation of seven years. I almost feel the way I did when I was little on Christmas Eve. If it was one thing that I hadn't stopped believing in after all these years, it was that Santa would bring me something.

   Victor comes and wakes me up that morning, something he always does. He climbs on top of the bed, leans down, and says, "Hello, Sarah" in a deep voice in my ear.

   "Victor!" I sit up, and we bump heads, like we do every year.

   "Merry Christmas, little sis," he says, grinning.

   "Merry Christmas, Victor." I give him a hug.

   "So you might see an excess of presents this year," Victor says as we descend. "Apparently when Mom came back, she brought all of the relatives' holiday greetings with her."

   "Sounds like a big deal." Mom didn't really talk about her family much. Aside from her parents having seven kids, I didn't really know much. Apparently her childhood was a sensitive subject.

   "Yeah." He shrugs. "Did you know they'd been telling her for, like, five years to come back? They were like, 'Bev, you aren't going to find someone like Lane ever again. Go back to him. He'll take care of you.'"

   "How'd you find all this out?" We stop just before going into the living room, where the tree is.

   "Aunt Frances. You know how close she lives? Chicago. Less than two hours from here."

   "Right." Aunt Frances was the only one out of all of Mom's siblings that kept in touch with us often. She knew all our birthdays, and Dad's birthday, and sent us something every year on our parents' wedding anniversary. Dad always dreaded that time of year, but we couldn't exactly blame her. She was trying her best, after all.

   Christmas morning goes off without a hitch. I'm glad for that, because the very last thing we need right now is a mishap.

   When I go back up to my room to get ready for the day, I find a small box wrapped in blue and silver paper, tied with a blue ribbon. On top of it is a note.

   Dear Sarah, I know you're really into photography, so I did some research and got you this. I hope you like it.

   It isn't signed, but I know who it's from. If it's from Blue Bolt—or Cam, I've come to think of him, even when he's in his super suit—I know it's going to be something I'll like. I'd nearly forgotten about my photography for a while, considering there were so many other things going on, but then again, it had been when I was unhappy. Those dark clouds seemed to have passed for now.

   It's a new tripod. I'd been meaning to get another one, since my sisters had broken mine when they'd swiped it and thought it was a good idea to take it apart and joust with it. But this one...this one is better than my old one, expensive-looking too.

   Another note falls out when I shake the box, just to see if I'd left anything.

   P.S. Want us to take care of those sisters of yours too? They seem to like to break your stuff. —G.P.

   Green Phoenix. Trevor. They must have pooled their money to buy this. I owe them one. I really do.

***

{Cameron}

I go see Trevor on New Year's Eve. Sarah said she'd be over in a little while for the marathon we were going to have, of all of the Lord of the Rings movies. Kitty's already beaten me there, opening the door even before I've knocked.