12. Tear In My Heart

{Cameron}

After school that day, Trevor, Sarah and I take a visit over to the park where the last body was found. It looks different in the daytime, a little sad without the darkness to cover it all. It makes me wonder if Pink Wildfire, even though she was back with Trip by the time we had discovered the body, was watching our every move. That even gets me to thinking that she may have been the one behind Sarah's car breaking down. She wasn't above that kind of thing.

   "What do you suppose this person's trying to accomplish, anyway?" I ask as we walk over to the collective complex known as the guard shack. Not really what I'd consider a shack, but there you have it.

   "Who knows?" Sarah sighs, running a hand over her face and then through her hair. "We've been at this for nearly three months and we have no idea what's going to happen. Or any idea of who's doing it."

   "It isn't what you'd call an easy situation," Trevor adds. "Considering we're probably not even supposed to be doing this."

   "But you are anyway?" I glance over at him, grinning.

   "Call us crazy." He shrugs. "And I mean all of us, Cam. Not just me and Sarah, but you and Kitty too. And everyone else."

   "After this is all over I think we can all agree with that." Sarah says, rolling her eyes in a good-natured way.

   It looks like we've come at the perfect time. There's a park official talking to a police officer in the front, near the reception desk, when we walk in.

   "Let me handle this," Trevor says, winking.

   I begin to follow him, but Sarah grabs my hand, pulling me back.

   "What?"

   "Let him. He does handle that stuff well, after all."

   "All right," I put my arm around her when she finally does release my hand. "So when does your dirty work come in, then?"

   "My dirty...well...I don't know. I think we kind of both do our parts."

   "I'm glad you included me in this, Sarah. I really am." I lean down and rest my lips on top of her head. She doesn't protest, which makes me think that she's more comfortable with me now than ever. I hope to eventually get to the point where I can tell her who I really am. She probably wouldn't believe me, but it was worth a try.

   "Are you, Cam?" I can feel her rubbing my back.

   "Yeah. I actually mean that. I wouldn't have met you if I hadn't heard about this crazy mess in the first place."

   "I don't know. I think you would have come to us on your own, whether or not it was because of me." She rests her head on my arm. That's for sure. I know I would have.

   "You think so?" I ask as Trevor turns back around and comes towards us. "Here comes Trevor."

   "So, our passenger pigeon returns." Sarah straightens, pulling out of the circle of my arm. "What'd you find out?"

   Trevor rolls his eyes, probably at the pigeon remark. "They said they have some evidence from the scene of the crime if we want to see it. Apparently it's a real doozy this time."

   "Then what are you waiting for?" Sarah gestures for him to do so. "Lead on."

   He grins, giving us a stuffy little bow. "I shall. Let's go."

   "So what's the interest in this with you kids?" asks the park official as we follow them closely further into the building.

   "We think we might be able to identify the body," Trevor says abruptly, and I can tell by the expression on his face immediately after that he totally improvised that.