17. Under Cover of Darkness

{Sarah}

It takes another week for anything to happen. Another murder is reported, this time showing up in the women's restroom at the city hall. A strange occurrence, to say the least. We hadn't had one in a while. But this time I don't know if it's coincidence, or if it's our culprit. There isn't even a note left at the scene – at least not one that the police could find.

   Then, one night, as I'm getting into bed, I hear a crinkle of paper as I lay down. I sit up, seeing it's a note, written on the back of a sheet of questions that looks oddly like our AP Government study guide. I recognize the messy scrawl as Cam's, and it's even signed Mr. A.I., something I'd started to call him ever since he revealed his identity to me.

   Dear Sarah, it reads. I've decided to take this case into my own hands, because the police don't seem to know what they're doing. There is as much reason to suspect Pink Wildfire as anyone else, but there's something very important that I want you to do for me. If you can get close enough, and she doesn't try to burn your face off, get a sample of her handwriting. That would be a pretty big clue to confirm if it's her behind these murders. I know she works alone, and she probably wouldn't try to use her other hand to disguise it. I'm not saying she isn't smart, but I am saying she doesn't think before she does things. The reason I'm asking you is because she won't even talk to me. But I'll be watching, or I'll ask Phoenix to watch you, just in case something happens. I'll wish you luck in advance. I don't usually say this, but I couldn't do this without you. So thank you. -Mr. A.I.

   I take a deep breath. I'm not really ready to face the slings and arrows that make up Kaelie's personality, but if Cameron or Green Phoenix are around, maybe it won't be so bad. However, that gets me to thinking about how I should approach it. What should I ask her to write? There has to be some excuse.

   A knock on my half-open door startles me out of my thoughts. I thought I was the only one up at this hour. Victor's head peeks in, eyes sleepy and hair sleep-tousled.

   "Victor?" I drop Blue Bolt's note over the side of my bed onto the floor, hoping he didn't see it. "What are you doing up?"

   "I saw your light go on. You okay?"

   "I'm fine. Did I wake you up?" I clasp my hands together and set them under my chin.

   "No. I was awake. Lots of stuff on my mind."

   There's a silence between us before I realize he could help me with a solution to the Kaelie problem.

   "Victor, I have a hypothetical question."

   He runs his hand through his hair, his eyes opening wider. "Do tell."

   "What if I need a sample of handwriting from someone, say, soon?"

   "Depends on who this someone is," he says musingly. "And if they'll do it willingly."

   "Say...she's one of those Queen Bee types. You know, like Mean Girls type."

   "I actually never saw that movie," Victor shrugs. "Am I missing anything, by the way?"

   "'You can't sit with us.' And 'On Wednesdays we wear pink.' That's really all."

   "Oh, okay. So saying this girl, whoever it is, is the Lindsay Lohan type?"

   "No. Not her. The leader. The really mean one." Regina, I think.

   "Haven't seen it," Victor reminds me.

   "Right. So, say she's a Plastics type. But she's also a highly volatile super. Able to make her hair and her hands go up in flames at will." Victor was aware of the supers before I was. That tells you who was paying more attention.