10. This Is What You Came For

{Sarah}

Nothing new happens in the following weeks. I get occasional texts from Kaelie, updating me on their progress back home. Apparently Mayor Green's proving to be a much harder nut to crack than they thought. No kidding. And we thought this was going to be easy.

Around the same time, however, after a slew of midterms a couple weeks before the Thanksgiving break, Zach sits down across from me at the breakfast table one day and pops the question.

"So...I was thinking...since we're kinda unofficially official, I was wondering if you'd like to have Thanksgiving dinner with us."

"Oh." That surprises me, mostly by his bluntness. "I mean...I guess. If your dad thinks it's okay."

"You know, the funny thing about my dad...he'll never let you know what he's truly thinking. He'll say one thing and mean another, and by that time his face is doing something that's completely different."

I grin at his eye roll. "Full of contradictions, is he? Just like his son?"

Zach shudders in mock horror. "I'd rather you didn't compare me to him. Everybody does it, and the similarities are uncanny. It's like...I'm him, without the evil."

"Then let's just say you're a better version of him. Green 2.0, without the evil setting."

It's his turn to grin after that. "I kinda like that."

"You'd better. Because it's what you are."

≈≈

It takes a few days for me to muster up the courage to tell Dad. Not that I think he'll refuse or anything, but I know him. He's always been protective of me, no matter what the circumstance. So when I finally do get around to calling him, I have to take a couple deep breaths as it rings.

"Hey, Dad," I say when he picks up.

"Hi, honey," he answers, and he must notice my tone of voice, because he sounds concerned. "What's up?"

Guess I'd better just cut straight to the chase. "I know you aren't going to like what I have to say, but...I'm not coming home for Thanksgiving this year."

"Really?" He seems half-intrigued, half-hurt. "Why not?"

"Well...see, the thing is...Zach invited me to his place, and...I kind of said I would, and..."

"Hey, hey, hey. Sar, it's okay. That's what college is for, right? Meeting new people, getting new experiences, all that stuff. So don't worry about us. It's just me and your mother this time anyway."

"What? Where's Victor?" I knew I shouldn't have had to worry about him. He was fine, as long as he took his meds regularly.

"He's spending the holiday with a friend too, if you can believe it. One he met during his last stint in rehab." Dad sighs. "And God knows what your sisters are doing. Hopefully staying out of trouble."

"I feel like I'm deserting you or something."

"You're not, Sar. Your mom's been wanting some quality time with me anyway. Haven't had it since you kids came along, she said."

"Oh." I nod. "It's that kind of quality time, is it?"

"If it's what I think you're implying, Sar, then yes." I can almost see him slumping back in his chair, rolling his eyes. "Just tell me one thing about Zach, even though I remember most of what you told me last time. He's not an axe murderer, is he?"

"What?" I say, shocked, before I realize he's kidding. "No, Dad. His dad's the mayor of Nashville. I think we'd know pretty quick if that was true."

"Some mayor's kids go bad, Sar, you never know. Bad seeds, and everything." I can hear his shrug. "But I trust you, and although I've never met Zach, I trust him too, if he's one of those good guys. Just don't get yourself into trouble, okay?"