3. A Little Wicked

{Sarah}

I wish Trevor were here with me. He'd stayed in the car, just to make sure we had no surprise attacks while we were digging up more dirt on Hammerhead. I'd much rather have him here than Zach, who keeps giving me these puppy-dog-eyes. Like that's going to help me forgive him any faster. At some point I might come around, and realize that he was drunk and he couldn't have known what he was doing, but right now, the wounds are too fresh.

   "You okay, Campbell?" Kaelie gives my shoulder an uncharacteristic squeeze, gentle and well-meaning.

   "I mean...I guess so..." I shrug. "I just want to go home, actually."

   "Weekend's almost over," she says through a sigh. "I want to leave, and I haven't even been here a whole day."

   "I mean home. Like my house. I just want to see my family again." I miss them almost painfully, so much that I wish I could just be there now.

   She worries at her bottom lip, heaving a heavy, tired sigh. "I know, Campbell. The things I'd give to see my family again..."

   That's always been a sensitive subject for her. Her parents had been killed by Cam's dad, the Red Knight, when she was young – only eight. The Red Knight didn't have powers anymore, as far as we knew, but there was always a possibility that Mayor Green had another use for him. Or worse, found a way to return his powers to him.

   "Sorry." I look away, wishing I'd never brought it up.

   She brushes it off with a head shake. "What are you apologizing for? If anyone needs to be apologizing, it's Hammerhead. And not just to me, either."

   "Hey." Brandon's head pokes around his father's office door. "You girls coming inside, or what?"

   "Yeah," I sigh. I can't be mad at him. It isn't his fault that Zach's a jerk. "One second."

   "Look, Campbell." Kaelie lays a hand on my upper arm. "I get that you're hurting, and I know Hurricane Boy can be an idiot sometimes. But I'm sure that you guys can work it out, okay? Just wait and see what happens."

   "Thanks, Kaelie." I wish I didn't have to call her in to fight my battles for me, but she's so much better at it than I am.

   "Hey. It was my pleasure. What kind of person would I be if I didn't help somebody in need?"

≈≈

Zach and Brandon are leaning against the desk edge, while Kaelie and I take the chairs in front of it. None of them say anything for a while, so I know it's time for me to speak up.

   "Dr. Benson–" I start, but he holds a hand up.

   "Matt, please. 'Dr. Benson' is way too formal."

   "Matt," I repeat, then continue. "We came because we thought you could help us with the Hammerhead issue."

   "Hammerhead." Matt shakes his head. "I remember the days when he was a scrawny little chicken. Those were good days, just saying."

   "Then that was before he turned all...evil and everything?" Kaelie asks.

   "Not by a long shot." Matt shakes his head and folds his arms. "He was evil when we met him. We just didn't know about it yet."

   "Right." I try not to look too confused.

   "See, Rid always hated being a super in the days we first knew him. He talked about being ordinary, like that was somehow better. But I think it might have had to do with his jealousy, of Geoff and of Raina. He hated that they got along so well, almost from the very beginning, and eventually fell in love. And shockingly enough, that they made it work, despite the obvious differences."