5. My Head & My Heart

{Cameron}

I get a surprise that weekend. One that I completely don't see coming. Sarah calls me—actually physically calls me—and asks me if I want to come with her to visit Trevor. I accept, naturally. Any time I get to spend with her is good time. Productive time. She seems so hesitant around me, which I suppose is reasonable after the way I treated her, but I eventually want to get to the point when we can be comfortable with each other. Plus, I've been wanting to check up on Trevor for a while. He hadn't exactly been keeping himself accountable.

   But at ten-thirty sharp, my phone dings once, her signal that she's waiting outside to take me to his house. I text back with a quick OK and jump up, running outside.

   I squeeze myself into the car and plant myself in the passenger seat, glancing over at her. Surprisingly enough, she's smiling at me.

   "You seem eager to be up and about this morning."

   "So you think I'm a slug, Sarah?" I would be, if it weren't for my being a super and all.

   She shakes her head, still smiling, pushing the car into gear.

   "I never got a chance to tell you," she says after a long silence. "I had a good time last night."

   "Did you? Even with the murder?" Disconcerting was a word for it.

   "I don't mean that. I just mean...being with you in a non-academic setting. It's different. I see you're not feeling the need to be putting up a front all the time."

   It seems too eerie to be true, that we've come to the same conclusion at the same time. She makes me feel different. I've never felt that way, that I don't need to keep up an appearance when I'm around her. Maybe it's because she saw straight through it. I've never had a girl do that with me before. Maybe except for Kaelie, but I know better than to bring her up.

   "Well...I owe that to you."

   "Really?" She sounds surprised. "What did I do?"

   "You didn't put up with the way I acted for one second. Other guys would see that as stubborn, but I actually liked it a little bit."

   She smiles again. "I didn't think you thought of me that way."

   "I mean...at first it was a little annoying how you used to comment on my behavior all the time, but after a while it made me step back a second and really think about it." I wish more people would have done that. Then maybe we wouldn't have gotten into this mess in the first place.

   "You mean that?" Her eyes flick over to me, eyebrow raised.

   "Yeah." I shrug. "And you just seemed so different from the other girls at our school."

   "I hope that's a compliment," I can hear the smile in her voice.

   "It is." That's all I want to say. We haven't even been dating for twenty-four hours yet. Don't want to screw it up now. I don't even know if we've made it official, but maybe it's better to take it a little slower. See where it goes.

   We've stopped outside a house in one of the nicer neighborhoods in this city, and I can see somebody–Trevor, it looks like–waiting on the front steps.

   "Hey, Campbell!" He leaps up. When we were first starting out and I asked him to be my sidekick, I'd thought his energy was a little annoying. But other times I can see how it's worked for him. Besides, Sarah doesn't mind, so neither should I, in the long run.

   "Hey, Trevor."

   Trevor's eyes go to me instantly. "I see you were serious about bringing Mr.–I mean Cam."