12. About Damn Time

{Sarah}

I haven't even been home for ten minutes before my phone buzzes with an incoming text. I roll over on my bed, where I'd been trying to muster up the motivation to unpack, and pick it up. It's Cam. That's a surprise, considering I haven't really heard from him at all since Zach and I became a thing.

   Hey, could you do me a favor?

   I sigh, but text back anyway. Sure. What's up?

   Just told my sister about Dad, also that her BF might be super. She's not convinced.

   That was the thing about Cam. He wasn't too good about breaking news delicately. It was pretty much all or nothing with no in-between.

   So what do you want me to do?

   Think you could stop by for a bit? We'd all appreciate it.

   I text back a Sure and then drag myself to my feet. I haven't driven a car since August, and when I look outside, there's snow sprinkling down. Just perfect. Throw in inclement weather too, why don't you.

   "Dad, I'm going out for a bit," I say as I bundle up to go outside, seeing him in the living room tinkering with something. "What are you doing?"

   He squints vaguely at the mess on the floor. "Your mother said something was wrong with the TV. Colored spots in the corners or something."

   "That's a magnet problem, Dad." I yank my boots on. "You didn't need to dismantle the whole thing."

   "Looks like you know more about technology than I do, Sar," he says, scratching his head. "Guess I'll try to put it back together, then."

   "That usually works."

   "Bring some of that contraband back for me," he says nonchalantly, without looking up. "Where'd you say you were going?"

   I shrug. "I didn't. Cam needs my help."

   "I see. The boyfriend's crawling back now."

   I roll my eyes. "Dad."

   "I'm just saying, Sar, guys usually don't know how good they had it with a girl until she's gone." He shrugs.

   "Right." He'd know better than anyone. Case in point, Mom. "Well, I'll see you later."

   "Drive safe."

   I do, going so slowly there's other cars passing me. I don't care. I'd rather be safe by going slow than trying to save time and go fast, which could injure me. It's a good thing Cam only lives twenty minutes away.

   When I get up to the front door and ring the doorbell, it's opened almost immediately by a tall broad-shouldered guy with curly dark hair and bright blue eyes. He seems surprised to see me there, and we don't speak for a good ten seconds.

   "Hey," he says. "'Sup?"

   "Is Cam home?" I ask, when I've gotten over my surprise. "I got here as fast as I could."

   The guy opens his mouth to answer, but another voice, a girl's, comes from behind him. "Dom, let her in. She's a friend of Cam's."

   The guy, Dom, steps aside in surprise. I enter, stomping the snow off my boots, and come face-to-face with the speaker. This must be Cam's sister, who I've heard him mention before but never met. She's got his hair color, eye color, and height. Even the way she smiles – slightly lopsided – is all Cam.

   "Hey," she says, coming to help me out of my coat. "Don't mind Dom, he's just a little overprotective."

   "I thought I'd gotten the wrong house," I say honestly.