21. See the Light

Four months later

{Sarah}

"So how does it feel to officially be an art major?" Trevor asks me at lunchtime the day before the new term starts.

   "Better than law, that's for sure." I roll my eyes, and he grins. Both our families departed yesterday, after helping us move in, and I'd met his parents — officially, as he likes to say — for the first time. After a lot of careful consideration, he, Zach, and I decided it'd be better if we moved off-campus and into an apartment together, only a ten-minute drive away. We all had our own reasons, privacy being one of them. Besides, there were still people out there who had an unfavorable opinion of Zach.

   "At least look at it this way – when you're old you won't be boring." He gestures to the wall above the couch, almost completely covered in my photographs. I hadn't been able to get any good ones for a while now, so most of them are old. "Parents really should think about what they tell their kids to study."

   "I'm sorry, but I think I had a little bit of a super problem in the way." I raise one brow at him. "And I don't think they do it on purpose. They just want to know that they're going to be supported in their old age."

   "Right," he says, with an over-exaggerated nod. "How could I forget about that?"

   Just then, the door opens and I hear Zach come in, huffing and puffing. I get up to go help him, and find him groaning under a pile of thick textbooks.

   "What're all these for?" I ask, relieving him of half the stack.

   "Psychology," he says breathlessly, dumping the rest into the nearby beanbag chair and his keys into the bowl by the door. "Who knew I'd need so many books?"

   "Then you should see the supplies I had to buy." I give his arm a bump, thinking of my room now scattered with art books, drawing pads, paints, pencils, and even a canvas.

   "Like I said, you should have switched earlier." He catches my arm before I can get away, pulling me against him and kissing me.

   "Zach, don't." I blush and pull away, hearing Trevor making gagging noises. "You keep forgetting that we're not alone."

   "He's my roomie for life." Zach looks up and winks at Trevor over my head. "He can handle it."

   "Besides, watching you two kiss is a lot more interesting than my love life," Trevor says through a sigh when we've joined him at the table and Zach's snagged a take-out box and a fork. "Although I was trying to eat, so..."

   "I'm sorry it didn't work out, Trevor." I've said that so many times I've lost count. It doesn't make it any less true, though. He'd broken up with Kitty right after the semester ended last year, and it was still hard to tell who hated it more. She still texted me occasionally to ask how he was, and he seemed to mope around a lot more than before. But they hadn't actually talked to each other since. Something told me they'd either get back together sooner or later, but then again, he was becoming increasingly interested in someone named Gabriela. We'd never met her, but apparently they had a shared interest in Lord of the Rings.

   "How's the Blue Bullet Fan Club coming along?" Zach asks, changing the subject. He must have sensed one of Trevor's moping spells coming on. "I've checked under the hashtag. People seem to really be getting on board with it."

   "Great." Trevor sits up, considerably more interested. "I just hit a hundred-thousand on Facebook, and a hundred-twenty thousand on Twitter."

   "I didn't think you liked Facebook. Or Twitter, come to think of it." Zach points at him with his fork. "'For the brainless masses.' And I'm quoting you."