1. R U Mine?

{Cameron}

What a summer it'd been. Not only was our home sweet home that we call St. Louis especially quiet, but we managed to live some normal life for a while. I went out and got a normal-person job at the local gym. Kaelie went and took a lifeguarding course, and even though she claimed it was her altruistic super sense that made her do it, I knew it was because she also got to look at the guys with sculpted muscles. I don't mind too much. At least she's not evil anymore. And she's super hot in a bathing suit, in my opinion.

   As for Trevor, my sidekick Green Phoenix, and Sarah, my on-again, off-again — but increasingly more on — girlfriend, they both got into Boston University. I remember getting the text from her on my way home from work one day: Good news, Cam – I got into BU!

   Then Trevor: Hey check this, boss...Campbell and I are going to the same college next year.

   I was happy for them, obviously. They've been best friends for over a year now, and I'm not really worried about Trevor trying anything. It's the other hundreds of college-age guys that seem to be the problem. But then again, I'm not worried about Sarah. She's pretty good about taking care of herself.

   On the night before she's scheduled to fly out with her parents, she calls me and asks me if I want to come over and have one last dinner before we stop seeing each other on a regular basis. I say yes without a second thought. As if I would refuse that.

   I ring the doorbell, and then wait. Seconds later, the door opens, and there she is. Sarah. Same blonde hair — cut to just above her shoulders now — and the same green-brown eyes, softening whenever they meet mine. She smiles and throws her arms around me.

   "Cam. It's so good to see you." She steps back, keeping her hands laced behind my neck. "Looks like that gym gig's got some benefits."

   I swoop in and give her a kiss, but it only lasts a second before a third voice interrupts. "Hands to yourselves, you two."

   I pull back and see Victor, Sarah's older brother, leaning against the stair rail. He has the same blond hair and hazel eyes as her, and since the last time I'd seen him, seems to have stopped shaving as well – the beginning of a beard is coming in along his jaw.

   "Victor," Sarah hisses, giving him an elbow in the ribs. "Stop it."

   "You know I only do it 'cause I'm looking out for you, sis." He grins and ruffles her hair, making her scowl.

   Dinner is spaghetti and meatballs, courtesy of Beverly and Lane, Sarah's parents. Last year, Sarah's mom wasn't around, having left them when she was little. Since then, there'd been a family reunion, and from the outside, it seems like nothing's wrong. Which is just in time for Sarah to leave for college, but I wisely keep that point to myself. Sounds a lot like my parents, something I'd rather not get into right now.

   After dinner, while Victor helps in the kitchen, Sarah and I migrate to the living room, where we sit down on the couch with our knees touching. I put a hand on hers and give it a squeeze, and she puts her hand over mine and rubs my knuckles.

   "Cam, I..." She takes a deep breath, looking away from me. "Sometimes I wish it didn't have to be like this. Me going away and everything."

   "I know, Sarah." I run my thumb over the back of her hand. "But you're ready. I'm here with Kaelie and Ellis if something goes wrong, and I don't think you need me as much as you think you do."

   "Don't say that. I've always needed you."

   "Hey, look. Homesickness is normal. Everybody you meet as a freshman will have the same thing. But you'll be so busy with school and everything you won't have time to think about me. And I can entertain myself. I'm getting pretty good at that too."