15. You Know I'm No Good

{Cameron}

I don't know how long I'm out, but when I wake up, it's dark outside. The last thing I remember was pushing Mom and Ettie out of the house before the whole thing exploded. Then something whacked me in the back of the head and I blacked out.

   It takes me a second to get my bearings. I hear an electronic beeping somewhere above me, and when I try to move my fingers I feel an alligator clip attached to one of them. I've been taken to the hospital.

   Slowly, I ease myself into a sitting position, using the bed's ability to prop me up to my advantage. I reach over to turn the light on and nearly jump out of my skin when I see a huge form materializing out of thin air. It's bright red, wearing something that interlocks like plates of armor. The Red Knight. It's Dad.

   "Dad?" I croak, the scratchiness of my voice masking my surprise. "What are you doing here?"

   "I see you survived," he says, his head turning slightly towards me. I wish I could see his face. "So you really are my son."

   "Why, did you think some clone was put in my place or something?" I'm irritated that he can even say something like that after what he did. But not really surprised, considering everything else he's already done.

   "No, Cam. I was only following orders."

   "Whose orders are those? HECKL's? Mayor Green's?"

   "You know I can't answer that."

   "Yeah, Dad. I know you can't. Because you won't." I almost want to get out of bed right now and punch him in the gut, but I don't think I'd even make it to him. Especially because the explosions weakened my powers. "Don't you even care about us anymore? Mom tried to kill herself after you left."

   "We've been over this, Cam," he says, his voice moderator taking out all the emotion. "I had to. Ridley would have snatched me away eventually."

   "So you just went? Don't you see how stupid that was? Mom's raised us all on her own, and Ettie and I both grew up without you around. It's not fair, Dad."

   "Life's not fair," he snaps. "You think I wanted to leave your mother alone? You think I chose this?"

   "Actually, yeah, I do. Because we wouldn't be talking about it right now if you didn't."

   "I loved your mother very much, Cam. I still do. But we can't be together, don't you see? Supers like me and like you are destined for greatness. They have the potential to be better than the average human."

   "Is that what Green told you?" I scowl at him. "If you really loved Mom, you'd come back right now. Or better, you'd tell her what you did. Maybe she'd forgive you after a few months."

   "You doubt that I still care about her?" For a second, I detect a different tone in his voice, one that's distinguishable even through the voice moderator. It sounds almost like guilt. "I'm not lying to you when I say that she's still my greatest weakness."

   "Then why don't you stop, Dad? Why don't you just leave Green? He'll destroy himself anyway if he continues to do this."

   "Ridley's got a big head, and an even bigger ego," Dad admits. "He thinks he can do no wrong."

   "And you're willing to stoke that for him?" I shake my head. "That's not going to do any good. It'll only turn out badly. For everyone."

   "I know. But it's the only way."

   "Is it really, Dad? Is it?" I push away the memory of finding Mom on the floor in the kitchen, her clothes in shreds and her back disfigured by horrible burns. And the cuts on her arms. She must have been aiming for her wrists and missed them by inches.