42

This chapter is like double what I typically write for you guys (which is ~2000 words, give or take) so just prepare yourselves for that.

I've been waiting to write the coming few chapters since I started writing this book and boy does it feel good to finally get this out.

*UNEDITED*

Naziah had been tense since the moment Jett had reluctantly allowed Kayden to join them.

Kayden wasn't quite sure how to respond to her sudden cold shoulder. He and Jazz's twin had always been on quite good terms beforehand and he couldn't pinpoint exactly why she was mad at him. Regardless, her irritation with him seemed to have spread to the entirety of her fuse, making her short with the girls as well.

"I swear to God Jinx, if I have to listen to you hum Heathens one more time—" Naziah cut herself off when she realised that the other girl was hardly paying her threat any attention. Jinx sat in-between the twins in the backseat, as she was the shortest of the three, her head bobbing along with the tune she was humming. She had even begun dancing to the words in a way that was way too upbeat for the tone of the song but somehow worked anyway.

Jinx caught the death glare that ensued and merely grinned in return, the glint in her eyes making it obvious that she had only pretended to not hear Naziah's words. "Oh come on, even you have to admit that it could totally be our theme song."

Jazz raised an eyebrow at her, the amusement clear on her features, "so which one of us would be the psychopath?"

Jinx's gaze slid to where Kayden sat in the passenger seat, a slow smirk building on her features.

The incredulousness Kayden felt when their eyes connected in the rear-view mirror was less at the implication of the look and more because he couldn't believe that the conversation was taking place at all. "Is this really what you guys talk about before you kill a man?" He questioned, brain failing to understand how they could be so relaxed. At the end of the day someone would be dead. Perhaps it could be argued that whenever they went out as a group someone ended up dead but that time it was planned. Calculated.

'Let's not pretend that you have morals. You're only on edge because this time it's someone you know.'

The thought floated into his mind unprompted and he couldn't help the way his stomach turned because it was right. He had barely given the girls other kill count a second thought. Other than Shanks, he didn't even think he had paid attention to the rising death toll.

"What are we supposed to talk about?" Naziah questioned from Jinx's left; the expectant look she sent him uncannily matching the one Jazz was wearing from Jinx's right. Though, where Jazz's was almost teasing, Naziah's had an edge to it. Something he didn't particularly appreciate. It seemed that all the hostility she had been harbouring since the night before was getting ready to explode. "Our feelings?" She continued on mockingly before Kayden could have a chance to respond, "how much we loved working with each other and that we treasure every moment, just in case something goes wrong and someone corks it?"

Kayden just blinked at her for a moment, trying to figure out how to proceed from there. The way she looked at him made him feel as if he was a top contender for the dumbest man alive. He couldn't help the spark of irritation building up in him, he had guessed that Naziah's bitterness would need an output but he had hoped that she'd find a punching bag or something to let it out. Jett could have lent her the murder gym, it seemed to work wonders for her— Kayden had noticed that on days where he had been a particular nuisance Jett would disappear and come back sweaty and in work out clothes.