31

I'm sorry it's been so long but exams are coming up fast so I haven't had the time to get writing.

Unedited, as always. 

When Kayden woke up he didn't feel the same warmth as before.

It didn't take him too long to figure out that the spot next to him was empty and something about that made his heart drop. He didn't know why but he had kinda hoped that Jett would stick around, even though he knew quite well that she wasn't the type to stay attached to anything.

Groggily he sat up, letting out a long, disappointed sigh and stretching out the stiffness he had acquired over his awkward sleeping position. He wasn't sure of the time but the alarm on his phone hadn't gone off so that meant he still had a few moments of sleep left. Yet, despite his disoriented state he didn't think he'd be able to return to bed.

'Maybe a shower will wake me up.'

It was then that he noticed that the lamp at his desk was on.

He didn't remember leaving it on.

He blinked a little bit, eyes finding Jett sitting crossed legged at his desk, reading. The previously sour mood he had acquired dissipated as she glanced up from her book. She was wearing her glasses once again and they glinted at him as the light caught them. Her long hair had been thrown up into a messy bun, strands falling into her face and the sweatshirt she was wearing seemed to swallow her whole. He found himself unable to look away. The attire was so causal it almost made her seem like an entirely different person.

'Wait a minute... that's my sweatshirt...'

Having her sit there looking all tousled as if she'd just woken up and wearing his sweatshirt did weird things to his stomach.

'I really wouldn't mind seeing this every morning.'

"Morning," she greeted, voice a little husky.

"Morning..." he replied, the confusion evident in his voice. It had to be some sort of dream. This kind of thing was way too good to be true. He had to be dreaming. "What are you doing up so early?"

"The stitches made sleeping uncomfortable."

"Oh," he tried to think of something sympathetic to say but all his brain could focus on was the dark sweatshirt she seemed to have comfortably occupied without any warning.

She followed his gaze to his sweatshirt and shrugged "I was cold and Jazz is asleep."

Kayden swallowed before nodding "it's fine, it looks good on you." The last bit kind of slipped out without his conscious thought. His eyes widened a little but he didn't try to remedy it, knowing it would only end up in him rambling some sort of gibberish.

Her lips twitched slightly, "thanks." She put her book down on the desk, stretching a little before adding "are you ready for school?"

He knew what she really meant was whether he was ready to see Mark or not. They hadn't really concluded whether he was involved in the whole thing and honestly? Kayden was too scared to find out. All this time he had been lead to believe that Mark didn't see his father much, after Marlow he kind of disappeared and only bothered to come around once a month or so to make sure Mark was still alive. Otherwise, Mark effectively lived alone. Yet, that didn't mean they could rule out any affiliation, for all Kayden knew Mark spent all his time with his dad.

He just really hoped that that wasn't the case; Mark was the closest thing he had to a brother.

"Yeah, I guess so," he replied unconvincingly. "Are you coming?"